Bolex EBM - High Speed w/400ft mag?

Elliot Rudmann

I dont think the EBM will supply the voltage/current (power I guess) that the WM motor needs ...

If it doesn't run fast enough the film will bunch up eventually but it tends to stay pretty linear and could be hand wound to tension after each shot...

How long are you shots ?

Does anyone know if you can shoot @ 50fps on a bolex ebm with a 400ft mag attached? I've read that a WM motor is necessary over the standard MM motor, but I'm not sure if the WM works with the electronics in the EBM. Would greatly appreciate any help!

The WM motor also runs on 12V but uses a different type of connector than the MM.

You could theoretically use a WM with an EBM if you had a custom-made adapter cable.

In my experience, the MM will work with the EBM at 50fps but the torque is weak and the roll is pulled up tightly enough.

If you keep your shots short and pick up the slack between each take, it should be OK, but you have to keep an eye on it!

Cheers,

Jean-Louis

Edited by Jean-Louis Seguin

Yep,

The best way to know what we're talking about is to get a 400' roll of bodged film and thread it up and run it with the sides open so you can see what happens with the bunching, harmless up to a point - then potentially very messy, zero fun and at the worst, crunched/scratched footage.

As the roll is shot you'll see the torque changing as it works its way to the take up side - illustrating that it will work differently as you go through the roll.

It might not be as efficient but why not just cut down to daylights ?

Thanks for your help guys. What i've typically been doing is just using the 400ft mag as a feeder, and using a spare daylight spool inside the camera to take up the film when I shoot at 50fps, and then switch out every 100 ft, but you have to be careful not to go past 100ft otherwise things could get seriously messy. I really don't have access to equipment or have time to cut down 400ft rolls into daylight spools. Is this something that most labs could do?

Thanks for your help guys. What i've typically been doing is just using the 400ft mag as a feeder, and using a spare daylight spool inside the camera to take up the film when I shoot at 50fps, and then switch out every 100 ft, but you have to be careful not to go past 100ft otherwise things could get seriously messy. I really don't have access to equipment or have time to cut down 400ft rolls into daylight spools. Is this something that most labs could do?

Damn, I dont have a camera with me and I have a bit of a hangover - but could you just use your camera as you have been to load the daylights ?

I can get my mental 3D rendering machine to figure out if single sided sprockets (1R) will make it impossible or not - the second wind...

hmmm

:lol: