Fuji Vivid 160t performance printed w/ no DI

Gene Fojtik

Has anyone had any experience printing the Fuji vivid stocks without a DI in 35mm?

I am considering using the 160 on a shoot and need to do some tests, but I intend to ultimately strike a print of the finished film via a contact print and wanted to know if anyone had done the same.

Anything I need to keep in mind when communicating with the lab? Should I expect better results printing on Fuji stocks vs Kodak?

Has any one mixed the Fuji 560t with Kodak 5219?

Does anyone anticipate mixing these two stocks creating problems in a print situation?

Also, has anyone pushed the 160 more than 1 stop?

Thanks.

Has anyone had any experience printing the Fuji vivid stocks without a DI in 35mm?

I am considering using the 160 on a shoot and need to do some tests, but I intend to ultimately strike a print of the finished film via a contact print and wanted to know if anyone had done the same.

Anything I need to keep in mind when communicating with the lab? Should I expect better results printing on Fuji stocks vs Kodak?

Has any one mixed the Fuji 560t with Kodak 5219?

Does anyone anticipate mixing these two stocks creating problems in a print situation?

Also, has anyone pushed the 160 more than 1 stop?

Thanks.

i shot the vivid in various situation and have not been happy. i wanted what the stock calls for, vivid color saturation, higher contrast, but it doesnt look good to me. i miss the Kodak EXR stocks and thought Vivid was my replacement. my final attempt i had the lab push one stop, but didnt achieve desire. so, i'm pleased with Kodak's V3 500T, which provides dense black and a saturation almost..like EXR.

now perhaps if i can havee it printed onto 3393 may up my saturation.

Thanks. I have seen some nice 35mm telecined footage of the vivid but have not heard much if anything about how it performs on a print. I have heard that the blacks look milky in 16mm. The tests fuji has posted look great but digitized footage on youtube does not tell you much about what the image will look like projected. I think the stock is designed for a DI and not a contact print. Do you have any frame grabs that illustrate your frustration with the stock?

Thanks. I have seen some nice 35mm telecined footage of the vivid but have not heard much if anything about how it performs on a print. I have heard that the blacks look milky in 16mm. The tests fuji has posted look great but digitized footage on youtube does not tell you much about what the image will look like projected. I think the stock is designed for a DI and not a contact print. Do you have any frame grabs that illustrate your frustration with the stock?

The movie " Broken Embraces" used FUJI VIVID 160 for the Morroco scenes. That film is in theaters

now. Unfortunately, they used a DI on the whole film.

The movie " Broken Embraces" used FUJI VIVID 160 for the Morroco scenes. That film is in theaters

now. Unfortunately, they used a DI on the whole film.

well, i suppose it's another telecine stock.

i have 400' remaining in fridge, which is useless to me as telecine.

like i stated, i was quite displeased with the print results. yeah, milk and weak.

• Premium Member
well, i suppose it's another telecine stock.

i have 400' remaining in fridge, which is useless to me as telecine.

like i stated, i was quite displeased with the print results. yeah, milk and weak.

Doesn't sound like any Vivid 160 footage I've ever seen.

Both Vivid 160 and 500 look very saturated and contrasty with deep blacks when properly exposed and printed. Both stocks don't support underexposure as well as the Eterna stocks. Underexposing and printing at lower lights will make the picture fall apart with muddy shadows and more grain.

• 2 weeks later...

after discussing the matter with FujiFilm we have determined the results of my test were due to poor printing. a Fuji Vivid neg. looks different than a kodak neg. and at the time of the test the vivid 160 was new to the timer at lab and therefore misprinted. therefore, i will continue to work with this stock to achieve the stated saturation and desirable dense deep blacks.