Problem with 8mm footage

Pete Wallington

Can anyone help me decipher what's wrong with this 8mm footage?

Unfortunately it was a zero budget, heavy schedule shoot where the 8mm footage was only a very small part (one afternoon of a 5 week shoot) so I didn't have any time to test camera/stock/lab before we started, and after it was shot it was handed over to the producer to deal with and I don't know quite what stages it went through after that!

This was also last summer, so I can't remember an awful lot about it. We were shooting either 7217/7218 and lab instructions were to process "normal".

Any advice on what's the cause of the colour wash?

Thanks

post-23380-1264540342.jpg

Possibly a light leak through the viewfinder? Was this a reflex camera? I am guessing VF due to the gradient in color. Magenta transitioning to an orange. Was that gradation similar from frame to frame? That would indicate light leak hitting the film while the shutter is open (if its hitting anywhere else, it would be a more consistent streak) Either you didn't hold your eye firmly enough to the VF or the VF has a light leak. If this is a prism or dogleg, then I am stumped.

A video clip of the footage would help diagnose a bit better.

Give some more details like type of camera, did you use a light meter, automatic or manual exposure, any filtration, how was it transferred, etc.

Also, post several pics rather than screen grabs off the computer.

At the first look it's look under exposed ? but the problem is not there

Do you used some interior film outside with our with out a filter ?

Look the grass ( were is the green ) the color is not normal are you using some post dated ( old no exposed film) the first color affected by aging is the color RED find a place you have some RED in the shot and green.

Let the film exposed to heat source or the sun in a car ? at home

But if you like to get archival look you have it ? Personalty i preferred to used a old bolex in 16mm to fake the 8mm look and the old one with no reflex BOLEX have a less steady image so you have the feeling it's regular 8. But today in digital you could fake this effect easily.

• 2 weeks later...
Roberto,

How did you transfer your film? Did you use a professional telecine service? I have seen magenta color shifts on the edge of the frame on telecine equipment that needs calibration.

ahah no , the telecine equipment is an hi-end machine. this magenta shift appair only in this stock. This stock comes from Wittner, and is on 60mt reel that i did split and loaded onto kaccemas.never happened to me a similar shift, to me it is the processing issue as i state on vimeo.

ahah no , the telecine equipment is an hi-end machine. this magenta shift appair only in this stock. This stock comes from Wittner, and is on 60mt reel that i did split and loaded onto kaccemas.never happened to me a similar shift, to me it is the processing issue as i state on vimeo.

It far more likely picked up a red-light exposure from an power-indicator-LED or something when you handled it. Or possibly a infra-red light used?

The lab does work for many more customers and they would find out if they had a lightleak in their processor. Especially if it were the one and only Kodachrome lab :(

For the OP post. How long can you wait, not know all details and then blame somebody else?

It far more likely picked up a red-light exposure from an power-indicator-LED or something when you handled it. Or possibly a infra-red light used?

The lab does work for many more customers and they would find out if they had a lightleak in their processor. Especially if it were the one and only Kodachrome lab :(

no infrared/led light but only total darkness loading. I think that if some light happened it would have exposed all frame(s) and not one side only. If not a processing issue, it could be a stock issue ?

Things seem to be pointing at a stock issue then.

On a side note, the clips are very exciting and the POV is fantastic.

no infrared/led light but only total darkness loading. I think that if some light happened it would have exposed all frame(s) and not one side only. If not a processing issue, it could be a stock issue ?

With a homemade camera and self-filled Kaccema cartridges you ought to think/expect errors at your own side and not with proffesional services who serve the world.

Better send a clip to Wittner and ask their analysis. Instead of hypothesizing and blaming others.

(1) Yes i agree, but i didn't mentioned any name, (2) i loaded this film in different cameras , my homemade camera, a Nalcom ftl, a Beaulieu zm4, total of 120mt exposed film, all 120mt with this magenta shift only on the edge. What i have to think? Sure i will send all 120mt to Wittner to check it .

UPDATE

this is the opinion by Wittner:

Magenta shows a problem with temperature.

K40 Film that was stored too warm becomes magenta very quickly.

This may not be the case on the whole film. Maybe the 60m reel was sometimes

heated on one side (sun? heater? warm surface?).

So one side of the film can be much more affected than the other side. This

is my guess what happened with your 60m roll.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Ingolf Joost

Wittner Cinetec GmbH & Co. KG

now, i store my films like a clergyman stores consecrated wafers in the church....

anyway, sorry all for my insistence , end of the story PERIOD!