How do you monitor shooting with Super 8?

Marc Oberdorfer

I'm going to shoot a short on Super 8 (Agfa Movexoom 6) and there will be several shots where I can't look through the viewfinder (some steadycam and action shots) so I need external monitoring.

I was thinking about getting some small video camera, pov camera or the like and somehow mount it to the Agfa Movexoom. Has someone tried this yet? If so with what camera and what result?

You could try a Zigview thing from Kaiser. Otherwise experiment with bullet-cams, webcams etc.

You could also try a Coolpix camera. A model with hinged LCD of course.

There are some solutions on the web. One in France for a beaulieu 4008.

The Movexoom has a really nice and almost high-eye-point viewfinder. Almost as good as a Nikon R10 viewfinder!

And much better then these poststamps in the distance things of the seventies :)

Edited by Andries Molenaar

I'm going to shoot a short on Super 8 (Agfa Movexoom 6) and there will be several shots where I can't look through the viewfinder (some steadycam and action shots) so I need external monitoring.

I was thinking about getting some small video camera, pov camera or the like and somehow mount it to the Agfa Movexoom. Has someone tried this yet? If so with what camera and what result?

I just did a quick search on google and came up with many hits. It is very "do" able. You are basically hooking up a lipstick cam to the viewfinder. While perhaps no the greatest tap in the world. it does the job. Check out this link for at least a good view of what others have done. THe guy doesn't talk about the tap rig that much, but you can see the set up rather well.

http://vimeo.com/groups/6080/videos/7312899

I just did a quick search on google and came up with many hits. It is very "do" able. You are basically hooking up a lipstick cam to the viewfinder. While perhaps no the greatest tap in the world. it does the job. Check out this link for at least a good view of what others have done. THe guy doesn't talk about the tap rig that much, but you can see the set up rather well.

It is a bit like Michael Moore handling the interview and the camera. And he needs a tripod or shoulder pod. This bumpy video is an example how not to film.

well, simple googling brings plenty info.

for one: 4008 with tap

AJ, are you providing any useful information to help filmmakers or just spewing nonsense so you can say you were here? Michael Moore has done more in his sleep than you will ever accomplish... Do you have relevant information to provide?

Anyway, Chris, great link. It's definitely possible to adapt a small (lipstick cam) to a Super 8 viewfinder. I have done this. Experiment and see what works. Don't be discouraged and let us know what you find out!

R/

I found a blog which is dealing with this hot topic:

http://www.framedin8.com/2008/10/video-assist-wi.html

http://www.framedin8.com/2008/03/moss-landing-su.html

This is a beaulieu with the sigview on the viewfinder.

and this is the French videoAssist:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/arnitoo/sets/72157608676048867/

I also remember someone who tried to put a small digital camera as close as you can from the lens to see approx. what it will be printed. That's not exactly the same thing compared to the viewfinder but it could help a bit and is easy to do for steadycam, and this way you don't get the flickering issue through the VF when the camera is shooting.

hope it helps and give good ideas ;)

AJ, are you providing any useful information to help filmmakers or just spewing nonsense so you can say you were here? Michael Moore has done more in his sleep than you will ever accomplish... Do you have relevant information to provide?

Anyway, Chris, great link. It's definitely possible to adapt a small (lipstick cam) to a Super 8 viewfinder. I have done this. Experiment and see what works. Don't be discouraged and let us know what you find out!

R/

Don't understand what you are talking about.

A little upset being exposed as an overcharging (and not the batteries) fellow hobbyist?

The voice on the video has the same timbre as mr Moore. For the rest it is a bumpy video. Clearly shot by the instructor himself. Whoever that is, but possibly longtime super-8 provider mr John Longecker himself.

If one is shooting from a tripod such a rig may be usefull. Otherwise the clip-on the eye-piece or built onto a flash-bar-like-holder which uses the flash-shoe are best policies.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
How about mounting a GoPro to the cam? Those little suckers are only about $300. Not exactly sure if you can monitor those though...

The GoPro has no monitor, I don't know if you can output a signal to a monitor but if so that might work and possibly a dozen of other similar cameras. There are enough options, that's why I was asking if someone here on the board has used any on them and can share their experience how well it works.

I would really like to hear about some setups people are actually using, not suggestions which hardware might do the trick.

I just watched the above clip and noticed two errors in his discussion of handling the super 8 camera.

Firstly his brief explanation of how to set the eyepiece diopter using the split image control is simply wrong. He says you rotate the diopter control until the outside of the split image 'goes dark'. The correct proceedure for setting the diopter is far more complicated than that:

Focus ring on infinity

Zoom to full telephoto

Looking through the viewfinder, point the camera at a distant object like a tower building and adjust the diopter control until the split image lines up. This is the correct setting for that operator.

Secondly, he has a chart on the side of the camera indicating shutter speeds for various frame rates. He tells the student that this is what you set a light meter to. His figures appear to be approximations of the actual physical shutter speed (o.k., useful to know). For instance he has 24fps and 150degree shutter as having a shutter speed of 1/60th. This is true enough. But following his instructions and setting the light meter to this shutter speed and the rated asa of the film will result in systematic under exposure because he hasn't taken in to account the light loss of the reflex viewfinder. This proceedure would be correct if the super 8 camera had a mirrored shutter. But the camera he has (like the majority of super 8 cameras) has a beam splitting mirror, not a mirrored shutter. Thus some of the incoming light goes to the viewfinder and not the film. He does say 'with negative super 8 film, over expose 1 stop' and this would compensate for this error. But his student is loading in Tri-x reversal film.

richard