HD100 chromatic aberration :(... remedies?

Alex Aust

i really like the HD100 for its ergonomics, the quality of the head and processing and for the option to record uncompressed from the analog output; but for most stuff we do, it is unuseable just because of those chromatic aberrations all over the place. so i am thinking about a way to bypass the problem.

1.: is this simply a lens issue or is it also related to the prism and LP-filter design of the sensor block?

2.: if it is only a lens issue, which are my lens options to remedy the thing?

3.: if it's not solveable with any other EB lens, what happens if one uses a directly attached mini35 adapter like the P+S? any info and shared experiences on this one are hugely appreciated

ok guys i hope i'm not completely off the tracks with my thinking in this issue and hope for lots of feedback coming. and please don't beat me if you feel like there's already a ton of threads about this here because i did search on this forum and elsewhere but didn't get satisfying results.

• Premium Member
1.: is this simply a lens issue or is it also related to the prism and LP-filter design of the sensor block?

It's mainly, if not solely, the lens. I've seen HD100s and 250s with the better lens on, and it makes a vast difference.

2.: if it is only a lens issue, which are my lens options to remedy the thing?

Buy a better lens. I hope you have a lot of money.

3.: if it's not solveable with any other EB lens, what happens if one uses a directly attached mini35 adapter like the P+S? any info and shared experiences on this one are hugely appreciated

Meh. Those things have problems of their own, and you're likely to swap one set of CA for another set of noise, veiling and focus issues.

Get a better lens, but as I say, it's likely to be a spendy operation. It's a tiny sensor, so landing a decent image on it requires really nice glass.

Personally I found this got a lot better when you stop down a bit, too, so don't throw it wide open and get depressed about what it does. It's never brilliant, but it's particularly awful at the long end of the zoom when opened right up.

P

• Premium Member

Unless you're using good lenses on the end of the adapter you're hazarding CA. Stills lenses also rarely match lens to lens even out of the same series, among other problems. The only way to mitigate CA with an adapter would be to use high end glass, which puts you back a few pegs towards square one. Also an adapter has an overall softening effect on the image much like a diffusion filter. Now, whether or not that suits the particular film/shot is a matter of taste.

thanks for all the feedback. however what i'm actually tryin to find out is wheather the camera head itself is somewhat flawed, be it prism design/built, LP-filter, whatever, or if its really just a lens issue... u know, think of an adapter/lens combo which is fine CA-wise on, say the sony Z1, but on the HD100, pictures still have that fringing all over the place. that would indicate something more deep inside the camera is flawed.

• 2 months later...
thanks for all the feedback. however what i'm actually tryin to find out is wheather the camera head itself is somewhat flawed, be it prism design/built, LP-filter, whatever, or if its really just a lens issue... u know, think of an adapter/lens combo which is fine CA-wise on, say the sony Z1, but on the HD100, pictures still have that fringing all over the place. that would indicate something more deep inside the camera is flawed.

These aberrations are lens-related for sure. You'll almost certainly find the same effects on different cameras with the same lenses. A lot of the modern cameras now are incorporating chromatic aberration correction systems which work on an individual basis with each lens (the lens has to be compatible, with its data input into the camera so it knows what to do to correct that particular lens).

This seems definitely to be in response to the "cheap" lenses coming onto the market now, to go with the "cheap" cameras. I think the manufacturers realised when releasing the likes of the Sony EX3 and Panasonic HPX300 and 500 that the body was to be around £4-5000 and the lenses available for them at the time would be much more than double the price of the camera!

Steve