Syncing up the "shutters" of two 7D's

Alexander Disenhof

Do you need to sync them up to each other or to something else, like a CRT monitor? Whoever is gonna help you with this needs more detailed info as to what you are trying to accomplish . . .

I'm trying to sync up the two cameras to each other. I am looking to shoot on a DIY 3D rig and I assume the electronic shutters need to be synced. Anyone have any advice?

Thanks

Alex

I have zero experience to offer but the general path would seem to be trying to tether both cameras to a single laptop or remote device via canon's own software and hope that by starting both cameras with one device you could achieve sync, but I have no idea if this is actually possible. Canon software is one avenue, canon hardware the other, ie, buy a hong kong cabled remote and build a splitter cable.

Another idea would be to begin each take by randomly starting and stopping the cameras manually, aiming the lenses at a video monitor to judge sync somehow. When the pictures of the progressively scanning lines on the tv match one another, begin the take. Again, this is complete guesswork on my part and just a humble suggestion as to where to begin testing. Various tricks like turning the monitor 90 degrees to camera come to mind but without some tools in my hand I can't recall all the tricks.

Another analog timing device you could try would be a cheap desktop fan, with two blades, or colored blades perhaps, and running on a household dimmer to slow the rotation to a constant, slow speed that appears steady at your chosen frame rate. Manually start and stop one camera until the pictures agree on blade positioning.

Be sure to let us know what you have tried yourself and what your experiences are. Sounds like a challenging project. How do you plan to get the lenses the proper distance apart?