Differences between Braun Nizo 4080 and 6080?

markpaterson

what are the main differences between the Braun Nizo 4080 and the Braun Nizo 6080?

I currently have the Braun Nizo S8L but I am frustrated at how noisy it is! I would like to use Super 8 to record a shortfilm (possibly using dat audio recording, etc) but i'm put off by how noisy my current camera is.

I've heard that the 6080 is very quiet, and the 4080 is also quiet. Which is the quietest? Is it just that their the same volume, but the 6080 has extra features?

I hope to be doing a few music videos too, so i'll want accurate fps for syncing. I'm not sure my S8L is good enough. Or am I wrong? Are the 4080/6080 better for this too?

Sorry for all the questions, but i've not posted before so i had a lot to get off my chest! :)

I can get a 4080 for about $340 online at http://www.super8camera-shop.com

thanks in advance

mark

The cameras appear to be very similar.  Perhaps the biggest difference is how wide open the f-stop will go?

Here is a link to a very helpful site.

http://www.kolumbus.fi/puistot/n.htm

thanks for that. there seems to be a few differences, but nothing major i can see. it looks to me like they both use the same lens, so i presume the image quality will be equal on each?

Does anybody know which model is the quieter one?

Does anybody know which model is the quieter one?

I have never used the 6080, but I did have a 4080 for a while - and I regretfully inform you that it was not a quiet camera. In fact, I'd say it was one of the louder Super 8's I have owned. Don't get me wrong... it was a very nice camera. It had a pretty steady image and a very nice lens, but the db level was not a strong point. If I remember correctly, it was even louder than the Beaulieu 5006s I have now. I think the only difference between it and the 6080 were lens and speed options, so I doubt that the 6080 is any quieter.

I don't know of any Super 8's that are quiet enough to use without blimping. My Nikon R8 is about as quiet as I have ever heard, but you can hear it running from 10 or 12 feet away with your ear... let alone a decent mic. I would consider making a blimp (which is where the Nizo 4080 or 6080 might be advantagous). Since these cameras are very square in shape (in tripod mode) you could cut a hole in the side of a small Pelican case or something and let the lens protrude. Then use the remote to turn the camera on and off... this would be a cheap was to rig for sound.

The Nizo 6080 is EXTREMELY quiet.

I've never had a 4080 though, but I would think it should be quiet, if it has been properly lubed.

If yours was noisy, my guess is something was wrong with it.

The Nikon R8 is almost identical to the R10 (which I've had two of, and still have one that was literally brand new from an estate collection when I got it a year or so ago) and these are about as noisy as S8 cameras get, so IMHO you should get a Nizo 6080.

If it's not super quiet, something's wrong with it.

I heard there were some internal improvements over the 4080, so if you have the cash, get the 6080.

Matt Pacini

Would a camera that doesn't record sound run more quietly, i.e. Nizo 801 Macro or Professional?  Has anyone had experience with the 801 macro?

No. Why would it? The 6080 is the quietest camera ever and I even sell sound barneys for it so you can't even tell it's running on a quiet day (well indoors you can but that's true for any camera).

Now this is a comparasion chart!

http://www.merzbarn.com/Specification_char...ation_chart.htm

But for the record it's the size of the lens that's the main difference.

Edited by J. Miller

If the size of the lens affects the amount of sound, then is the 6056 quieter than the 6080?

I guess I was curious about non-sounds being quieter because there are less mechanics inside to make noise (possibly). Thanks for your information.

I don't know how much the size of the lens effects this. The lens is usually a way sound could be emitted from the camera.

Someone making a non-sound camera would not be concerned with the amount of sound coming from it, since sound it not being recorded. Someone making a sound camera would be concerned, because they don't want the camera noise in their recorded audio.

Usually super8 cameras designed for sound filming are more quiet than mos-cameras.

This is a total myth.

With the exception of the Nizo 6080 (& maybe the 4080/6056 like we're discussing) sound cameras are not any quieter than silent cameras, & I've owned a bunch of 'em, including the top of the line sound cameras (Beaulieu's, Canon 1014XL-S * 814XL-S, Bauer 715XL-S, etc.)

Certainly none of these I've listed is quiet enough to record dialogg with, unless you blimp/barney the living daylights out of them.

Noisier than a manual eggbeater!

The size of the lens is not a big factor. Perhaps theoretically, since the sound is being transmitted from the entire surface of the camera, but it would be silly to buy a camera with a smaller lens, thinking you're getting a quieter camera.

Matt Pacini

My apologies... the Nizo I had that was loud was an 4056 not a 4080 as previously stated (it's been a while and I killed a lot of brain cells since then). Maybe it wasn't lubed properly, but it took fine pictures.

I don't know, I guess what I think of as quiet comes from the larger format blimped cameras... but I stick by the statement that I've never heard any super-8 that was quiet enough to get a real mic (like a sennheiser 816) anywhere close to it without some serious sound padding.

No matter what you get, I'd plan on getting a blimp/barney.

You can download some of the latest printed Bosch/BauerNizo brochures on the Nizo cams which I scanned some time back.

I believe that the main difference between the 4080 & 6080 is that the 6080 can take the Kodak 60m mag.

Last of all Bauer/Nizo cams brochure with 4080/6080 machinery.

There is a compare table over the features.

ftp://ftp.filmshooting.com/upload/brochur...R-NIZO_1982.zip

Last of all Bauer Cams.

ftp://ftp.filmshooting.com/upload/brochur...R%20CAMERAS.zip

Last of all Bauer projectors.

ftp://ftp.filmshooting.com/upload/brochures/BAUER_PROJ.zip

R

Edited by S8 Booster

• Premium Member

Pretty much all of the Nizo cameras with the four digit model numbers were quiet, I wish the person who made such an adament claim hadn't as it gets tiresome to see these misclaims about Super-8 generated over and over.

In tight quarters practically any film camera can be heard unless you are talking the top of the line super-expensive 16mm and 35mm cameras. Heck even digital cameras can be heard.

But remember, there are things that can be done to deaden the sound the camera makes so that it is tolerable. Thick furniture pads will minimize echo and room reverb. So on the closer shots furniture pads should be used on the floor and even hanging one on a C-stand can make a difference in removing the camera sound, and of course, a good boom also helps.

There also are lot of sophisticated sound programs that can eliminate certain frequencies and sounds and those should also be explored.

OK, I should clarify a bit.

1. The Nizo sound cameras are quieter than the Nizo MOS cameras.

2. In 16mm & 35mm cameras, MOS cameras are louder than sync-sound cameras.

3. But in Super 8 (with the exception of the Nizo statement above) the sound cameras are pretty much as loud as the MOS cameras.

I'm making a big deal out of this, because this myth that keeps popping up on websites about Super 8 all the time, and a few years ago, I sold my excellent Nikon R-10 (really noisy) to buy a Canon 1014 XL-S, because I kept reading that it was "virtually silent", being a sound camera.

Well, imagine my sorry surprise when I got it, and it was just a tad quieter than my R-10!

Really a noisy camera!

I then got a Canon 814XL-S, and it was just as noisy, then I got a Bauer 715XL-S, because (again) I heard that it was "virtually silent", and it also was just as noisy!

All these beasts are terrific cameras, but they're all noisy as hell!!!

So I don't want anyone to make the same mistake I made. I eventually got the Nizo 6080, and it's really, really quiet.

If you need a really quiet camera, hold out and get a Nizo 6080, or I guess a 4080 if you must.

Nothing else is even a close second in quietness, and I mean not even close.

Matt Pacini

• 1 year later...

Only difference between the 6080 & 4080 is the fact that the 6080 can take 200ft. cartridges (200 ft. = 4x 15 meter = 60 meter, plus 80 = 80mm. max zoom -> 6080)

Unfortunately, these cartridges are not produced anymore, so it doesn't matter if you have a 4080 or 6080.

All sound models from Nizo, starting with 60, take the 200ft. cartridge.

best regards,

Harmjan

www.super8camera.com