Does 1080i 24p exist? According to Post it does

Aaron Solomon

Does 1080i 24p exist? I was reading an article in post, and I'm assuming it's a mistake, but can you record 1080i 24p? What would be the purpose?

The i and p are contradictions of each other, an image can not be interlaced and progressive. The sony V1U records 24p footage within the 1080i signal, however, this is still 1080i footage when read by a computer or player. There are a few different ways HDV cameras try to simulate 24p within the 1080i signal and this is what you could be reading about, however there is no format which is 1080i 24p.

The i and p are contradictions of each other, an image can not be interlaced and progressive. The sony V1U records 24p footage within the 1080i signal, however, this is still 1080i footage when read by a computer or player. There are a few different ways HDV cameras try to simulate 24p within the 1080i signal and this is what you could be reading about, however there is no format which is 1080i 24p.

Thanks. How does the V1U record 24p footage within the 1080i signal? Does it deinterlace in the camera?

• Premium Member
Thanks. How does the V1U record 24p footage within the 1080i signal? Does it deinterlace in the camera?

The same as how 24 fps film gets transferred to 60i -- it gets a pulldown added to convert 24 frames into 60 fields. Most cameras that store 24P as 60i/1080 have an option of an "advanced" pulldown cadence (2:3:3:2 rather than 2:3) that is simpler to remove in editing software to get back to 24P.

"Deinterlacing" would mean converting interlaced-scan capture to progressive-scan, what we are talking about in the camera is the opposite.