How do I identify batch numbers?

Hi,

I did a search on the forums for this, but nothing came up. I'm extremely new to film making and am devising my first 16mm film test outside of a classroom setting.

I'm in the middle of making logs of all the different stocks I'm testing and I just realized that I don't know which numbers are the batch numbers on my film containers.

I have both Kodak and Fuji sitting in front of me. I think I know which numbers are the batch numbers on Kodak, and with Fuji, common sense would suggest that the numbers that look stamped on the sticker would be the batch numbers for those, but I want to be sure I have all my bases truly covered and not leave much to guessing.

Thanks

• Premium Member
I think I know which numbers are the batch numbers on Kodak, and with Fuji, common sense would suggest that the numbers that look stamped on the sticker would be the batch numbers for those, but I want to be sure I have all my bases truly covered and not leave much to guessing.

Kodak's web site does have a page called somthing like "how to read a film can label."

Try http://motion.kodak.com/motion/uploadedFil...0_12-09-4pg.pdf

I belive that once you read that, you will find the Fuji cans somewhat similar.

• Premium Member

Should be the first set of numbers (3 digit typically) following the stock type. I.e. 8547-420-016, then the batch number is 420, and 016 is the parent roll. Following numbers denote cut and slit numbers, which are the real ID of that roll, since you will often shoot just one batch and only 1 or 2 parent rolls if a lot of film has been ordered at once, hence the first sets of numbers don't change much in the course of say a feature.

Kodak's web site does have a page called somthing like "how to read a film can label."

Try http://motion.kodak.com/motion/uploadedFil...0_12-09-4pg.pdf

I belive that once you read that, you will find the Fuji cans somewhat similar.

Haha, I knew it had to be somewhere. I felt so dumb making this post because I knew I hadn't looked everywhere. Thanks =)

Should be the first set of numbers (3 digit typically) following the stock type. I.e. 8547-420-016, then the batch number is 420, and 016 is the parent roll. Following numbers denote cut and slit numbers, which are the real ID of that roll, since you will often shoot just one batch and only 1 or 2 parent rolls if a lot of film has been ordered at once, hence the first sets of numbers don't change much in the course of say a feature.

That was my guess, thank you for your reply.