Commercial/Film Editors Demo Reel - Check this out

Jeff Pinilla

Great amount of After Effects, but I'm not sure if you did that or if someone put your reel together. So it might be better to say "Editor, Motion Graphics, Colorist" rather than film, doc, etc... Essentially people want to know about your skillset when they hire you. The classifications you use now don't really help as doc people want doc editors, etc... Not having a specialization doesn't really help sell you.

Also, it's my experience with reels that you want to show whole scenes. The flashy overview makes it seem like these are all specs. You can do a montage of logos of brands you've worked with, but then you still need to actually show them.

Great amount of After Effects, but I'm not sure if you did that or if someone put your reel together. So it might be better to say "Editor, Motion Graphics, Colorist" rather than film, doc, etc... Essentially people want to know about your skillset when they hire you. The classifications you use now don't really help as doc people want doc editors, etc... Not having a specialization doesn't really help sell you.

Also, it's my experience with reels that you want to show whole scenes. The flashy overview makes it seem like these are all specs. You can do a montage of logos of brands you've worked with, but then you still need to actually show them.

yeah. none of it was after effects… putting "colorist" is a whole different thing. Simple without overplaying the color correction aspect is just right. things are better left unspoken sometimes

Out of curiosity, what did you do that in? If not After Effects? It looks really solid.

The colorist label sounds a little overreaching if you're sending your resume along to CO3. But if we're talking about being hired on a low-budget feature or spot, then it fits. Desktop colorist is now actually something that the low-end market hires. In other words, people that aren't finishing at a name post house still want to tweak their images.

Let us know how your reel works out.

yeah. none of it was after effects… putting "colorist" is a whole different thing. Simple without overplaying the color correction aspect is just right. things are better left unspoken sometimes
Edited by Byron Karl

• 1 month later...