using an NTSC model GH1 for PAL productions

Tobias Feltus

Hello,

For the past three years I have been using HDV, and more recently with a 35mm converter. I decided that since my style was sliding further from what a video camera could do for me, it was time to move to a video enabled dSLR, so I sold the video gear, bought an H4n to cover for audio deficiency, and am about to buy a Panasonic GH1. The issue is, at present, that my brother is about to travel to the USA, where their NTSC version of the GH1 costs nearly £300 less than our PAL version. This saving would kind of allow me to also pick up a reconditioned HV20 as backup and a tape deck. The Panasonic press release states that the GH1 records:

Full-HD (1920 × 1080) movies are output by the image sensor at 24p (NTSC)/25p (PAL), and recorded at 60i (NTSC)/50i (PAL). HD (1280 × 720) video is output and recorded by the image sensor at 60p (NTSC)/50p (PAL).

(I believe the 1080 is recorded as an mp4/h.264 within AVCHD, whereas the 720p can also be recorded as an MJPEG).

My question is, in your opinion, whether it is important to have the 25p within a 50i, or important enough to pay an extra £300, when it seems that editing suites are even moving away from having constraints within the sequence presets. would there be any noticeable pulldown issues when exporting from NTSC footage to PAL 25p?

A second issue is that I cannot find out whether the manufacturer's warranty is, actually territorial also. The Panasonic website is a little confusing in this matter.

I have been using FCE 3.5 for the past years without any problem, and with this purchase I will upgrade to FCE 4, which claims to have a completely open format sequence, allowing NTSC, PAL, HD and SD to be mixed without complication. Oh, and yes, one reason why I am sticking to FCE is that I have rarely encountered serious issues with its limitations, and it has become an interesting point to prove that the baby editing suite is capable of doing quite a lot. It is a way of shutting up gear geeks, at times, or actually making them interested in debate.

Thanks for your help,

Tobias