I need advice

Hi everyone,

I'm directing my first indie movie and I'm ready to go, except for one thing. It is raining in California and it appears that it will continue to rain throughout February.

I have 6 days of outdoors and 10 days indoors to shoot and I'm not sure if I should push. I've already pushed 3 months and I my female lead just booked a big time series. We're not sure if I have to replace her.

Do you think I should start shooting and work around the rain or just wait a couple of months until is sunny? I can't afford to stop if it's raining.

Thanks for your input.

Hi everyone,

I'm directing my first indie movie and I'm ready to go, except for one thing. It is raining in California and it appears that it will continue to rain throughout February.

I have 6 days of outdoors and 10 days indoors to shoot and I'm not sure if I should push. I've already pushed 3 months and I my female lead just booked a big time series. We're not sure if I have to replace her.

Do you think I should start shooting and work around the rain or just wait a couple of months until is sunny? I can't afford to stop if it's raining.

Thanks for your input.

Hmmm.....

Well, ideally, you'll start shooting per your talent's and location availability. While it has been raining a lot, it hasn't really gone for six days in a row. So, get started while using the interiors as your cover sets and take advantage of the dry weather when you can. Obviously this means being VERY flexible, ready to change your one-line schedule around from day to day as the weather changes.

Hmmm.....

Well, ideally, you'll start shooting per your talent's and location availability. While it has been raining a lot, it hasn't really gone for six days in a row. So, get started while using the interiors as your cover sets and take advantage of the dry weather when you can. Obviously this means being VERY flexible, ready to change your one-line schedule around from day to day as the weather changes.

Thanks Brian,

I think I should have been more specific. I am using SAG talent, renting equipment, and getting permits, so if I have to switch locations it's going to cost me. Your advice is sound,though, and I'meager to start already. Would you still start under those conditions?

Robert

Thanks Brian,

I think I should have been more specific. I am using SAG talent, renting equipment, and getting permits, so if I have to switch locations it's going to cost me. Your advice is sound,though, and I'meager to start already. Would you still start under those conditions?

Robert

Well, money is the one "tool" that either stops you or enables you. Like I said, the key to shooting pretty much ANY movie with locations involved is flexibility. I've been on big movies that have schedules locked in only to have locations become "unavailable" for one reason or another. This is one reason to have that 10% contingency built into the budget. But if you don't have the money that lets you be that flexible, then you may not be able to finish what you start and you may not get to finish ever. :(

I don't know all of the particulars of your situation so it's not for me to advise one way or the other. If it was me, I'd look back over the budget and schedule and do what I could to start shooting asap (once the current storms pass). Cram in the exteriors as quick as possible then you can get to stage and relax. :) And, if weather does threaten to rain on your parade, then at least you have a bunch of interior days to use as cover if necessary.

• 7 months later...