Lens opinion

Guest Neil G Randall

Guest Neil G Randall

Looking at partnering a 7D with a EF-S 17-55mm F2.8 IS for video.

Just shooting my own shorts, nothing for broadcast, cutting in Vegas 9.

In my experience, the glass is capable of some amazing stills and goes from quite wide to near-portrait. Think I read it's 'L' glass but doesn't quite have the build quality to warrant the badge.

Anyone used it with a 7D shooting video? Opinions? Any other suggestions - partner lenses, filters, etc?

Thanks,

NR.

Looking at partnering a 7D with a EF-S 17-55mm F2.8 IS for video.

Just shooting my own shorts, nothing for broadcast, cutting in Vegas 9.

In my experience, the glass is capable of some amazing stills and goes from quite wide to near-portrait. Think I read it's 'L' glass but doesn't quite have the build quality to warrant the badge.

Anyone used it with a 7D shooting video? Opinions? Any other suggestions - partner lenses, filters, etc?

Thanks,

NR.

apparently, it is a great lens. i am thinking of getting it too. but also, the 17-50 f/2.8 tamron is very close to it too, for a fraction of the price (my post, unanswered, is a few below in the canon forum).

rk.

Guest Neil G Randall

Thanks - I've been using it on my old 300D, and it's still able to produce great results. Mainly, I was just interested in whether a 35/50mm F1.4/1.8 is worth the extra. Reckon the cash could be spent better elsewhere - spare batts, cards, etc.

apparently, it is a great lens. i am thinking of getting it too. but also, the 17-50 f/2.8 tamron is very close to it too, for a fraction of the price (my post, unanswered, is a few below in the canon forum).

rk.