MPEG2 4:2:2 Recording at 50MHz Coming Soon

Hal Smith

• Premium Member

Yup, Canon seems to just create some XDCAM EX with a little more color space. This is so far away of what the customers really want: A FF sensor (5D mark 2 like) camcorder with variable frame rates, XLRs, HDSDI out and maybe a better colorspace for the codec that it records on CF. Am i wrong here????

Yup, Canon seems to just create some XDCAM EX with a little more color space. This is so far away of what the customers really want: A FF sensor (5D mark 2 like) camcorder with variable frame rates, XLRs, HDSDI out and maybe a better colorspace for the codec that it records on CF. Am i wrong here????

That is exactly what I'm looking for! And in my garden of people i know I'm not alone:)

Ted. Warsaw.

• Premium Member

To be enormously picky, I think you'll find that the existing codec is 4:2:2.

Of course it's also massively compressed and that's presumably the point they're actually addressing, but strictly speaking the colorspace is what it is.

I wonder if they'll fix the aliasing, too. Of course that is a vastly bigger ask, probably involving a completely reengineered sensor. If they fix the aliasing and the compression, then it's potentially very good.

P