Question about billing a studio for hourly work.

A studio I work with (Studio A) books me for small shoots lasting a few hours and want to pay by the hour (lower than my average rate). The problem is that when I work for them for only a few hours:

1. I can't book a full day shoot with someone else to make better money

2. No other studio I work with hires hourly so it's impossible for me to fill in around those few hours I work for Studio A.

What action should I take?

1. Charge Studio A a half day rate for these small, 2 hour blocks of shooting?

2. Charge them an "out the door fee" added onto their hourly rate.

3. Work out a new, hourly rate with them.

4. Something else?

Edited by Michael Nelson

• Premium Member
A studio I work with (Studio A) books me for small shoots lasting a few hours and want to pay by the hour (lower than my average rate). The problem is that when I work for them for only a few hours:

1. I can't book a full day shoot with someone else to make better money

2. No other studio I work with hires hourly so it's impossible for me to fill in around those few hours I work for Studio A.

What action should I take?

1. Charge Studio A a half day rate for these small, 2 hour blocks of shooting?

2. Charge them an "out the door fee" added onto their hourly rate.

3. Work out a new, hourly rate with them.

4. Something else?

I would find out what your state's labor law is. They may have to pay you at least 8 hours of straight time or a flat rate for the job which you would have to negociate.

G

The current LA rates for Freelance "Videographers" is between $600 and $700 for a 10-hour day (no gear in that number) and most of the guys I know avoid taking or accepting half-days. As mentioned, each state generally has labor rules that all employers must follow. Here are Florida's:

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index....on%2001#0448.01

The 2009 Florida Statutes

Title XXXI

LABOR

Chapter 448

GENERAL LABOR REGULATIONS

448.01 Legal day's work; extra pay.--

(1) Ten hours of labor shall be a legal day's work, and when any person employed to perform manual labor of any kind by the day, week, month or year renders 10 hours of labor, he or she shall be considered to have performed a legal day's work, unless a written contract has been signed by the person so employed and the employer, requiring a less or greater number of hours of labor to be performed daily.

(2) Unless such written contract has been made, the person employed shall be entitled to extra pay for all work performed by the requirement of his or her employer in excess of 10 hours' labor daily.

History.--ss. 1, 2, 3, ch. 1988, 1874; RS 2117, 2118; GS 2641, 2642; RGS 4016, 4017; CGL 5939, 5940; s. 164, ch. 97-103.

Ideally, you'll find out what the going rates are for other Freelancers are in your area and hold the line on them. Sort of an unofficial union situation helps everyone, including you. The moment someone decides to underbid or accept half-days or anything out of the ordinary for that profession in a specific geographic area, it hurts everyone.

• 3 weeks later...

My half day rate (for 6 hours or less), is 3/4 of my normal 12 hour rate for that company. It isn't half because, like you mentioned, you are not able to take a fully paid job for that day. 3/4 to me is fair. I get enough to make it worth my while, while they get a break because they are not working me a full day. I don't take half days regularly though and it is pre-negotiated so I can decide if I have a full-pay opportunity that day, and I dont' get sent home a bunch of times losing money I was counting on. Many others I know still charge the same 12 hour rate, even if they only work one or two hours, but you have to have some clout to do that, especially if your rate is high.