7d frame size

Aaron Moorhead

I've been looking around for a definitive answer on this one and come up empty.

A lot of people have complained that the 7d is not full frame. However, looking at relative frame sizes, it seems that the 7d's 1.6x crop factor is actually equivalent to that of larger motion picture formats (Super35, RED). So, by extension, Super35 and Red aren't full frame either. To put it another way: if I put a 50mm lens on a 7d and on a RED from the exact same position, will I get the same frame size? I know the answer seems obvious, but I am curious if this is only an issue because it's different for STILL photographers, but in the world of cinematography it's a moot point. Here's a sensor/frame size comparison from RED: http://www.red.com/cameras/technology/

Also, I have a small director's viewfinder from FilmTools -- can I trust the S35 markings for my 7d lenses?

Thanks!

Aaron

Edited by Aaron Moorhead

• Premium Member

Hi Aaron, the 7Ds 1.6x crop is the closest match to 35 mill widescreen shooting. i.e. 3 perf = 0.980" x 0.546" and EOS 7D 0.877" x 0.586" (what is named APS-C). So if the 7D would have a PL mount it would have a nearly identical framing / image. The R3D ON3 has the same sensor size as the 7D, so that would be a YES. http://www.red.com/faq/what-is-the-sensor-size-of-a-red-one/

• Premium Member

Thought I'd add my own visual presentation of some of the frame sizes to give you an idea of what's what.

If anyone else would like some dimensions added, feel free to pm me with exact mm dimensions and I'll add it to the chart

post-121-1269892048.jpg

• Premium Member

The other thing about this is that in DSLRs, your only other real choice is the 5D.

Which is like shooting Vista, or 5/65. Which is a pain in the arse.

An APS chip is (insignificantly) bigger than most 35mm motion formats and more than enough to give you depth-of-field control without making focus pulling into a Crystal Maze game.

P

• Premium Member

Hi phil,

Long time no speak. You are of course correct. I didn't really put the 5D sensor size in as it's the same size as Full Frame 35mm Still (which is already represented in the diagram).

I could add many more sizes to the chart but it becomes very busy and not as clear, but hey I've got some time on my hands....

Hope your well

Rich Steel

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

Updated the chart with Super 16mm, 2/3 inch Sensor Sizes and the growing in popularity 35mm 2 perf.

Unfortunately inch-based sensor formats are not standardized, exact dimensions may vary, but the one shown in the chart is typical of a Sony/Panasonic type sensor.

It can be a 'problem'

With the 5d you getting such thin DOF that you will end up shooting 4-5.6

With the 7d you may want to shoot around F2.8

Say you want 18mm at F2.8 that is very costly cine lens or a struggle to find on a stills lens

(remember many still lenses are soft wide open)

With the 5d you get a very cheap and good 24 5.6 solution to get a similar look

This is no more of a 'problem' than with Red for example, but typically reds are used with Expensive glass and most DSLR shooters are on a budget

S

• 2 weeks later...
Thought I'd add my own visual presentation of some of the frame sizes to give you an idea of what's what.

If anyone else would like some dimensions added, feel free to pm me with exact mm dimensions and I'll add it to the chart

In light of Panasonic's recent announcement of their new 4/3" camera it would be interesting to see this frame size on your chart. (18 x13.5 mm)

http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/store...0&surfModel

• Premium Member
With the 7d you may want to shoot around F2.8

Say you want 18mm at F2.8 that is very costly cine lens or a struggle to find on a stills lens

Which is why I bought the EF-S 17-55mm F2.8 IS USM with close to "L" series optical quality for my 7D. It's not cheap but a 7D plus that lens costs about what a bare 5D body alone costs. I just had a ball with it shooting stills and video on a helicopter tour to the Grand Canyon from Las Vegas. I brought my EF-S 55-250mm F4-5.6 IS along but it was pretty much useless in a helicopter, even one of Maverick's smooth riding Eurocopters.

• 8 months later...
  • Premium Member

A question comes to my mind: if shooting with both 5d and 7d should I consider the difference of sensor size when shooting like having some kind of signs on my viewfinder?

what happen when editing: is the 7d frame enlarged or the 5d risized? will it be cropped?

thanks everybody

Both cameras record a 16x9 area of the sensor that is more or less full-frame for those cameras, the difference will be the lenses, their fields of views, and the depth of field. You don't need viewfinder lines because in video mode, the electronic viewfinder will only show you the 16x9 area being recorded. But you have to expect that the same lens will have different fields of view on a 7D versus a 5D, and may even not fill the larger 5D sensor.

Both cameras record a 16x9 area of the sensor that is more or less full-frame for those cameras, the difference will be the lenses, their fields of views, and the depth of field. You don't need viewfinder lines because in video mode, the electronic viewfinder will only show you the 16x9 area being recorded. But you have to expect that the same lens will have different fields of view on a 7D versus a 5D, and may even not fill the larger 5D sensor.

I knew I 'd got was I was looking for here, thanks a lot David!