Green Band HPX 500

Rob Featherstone

While On a recent shoot with a Panasonic hpx 500 we noticed a pale green band at the bottom of the frame.

It only appeared in 720 mode. When we switched to 1080i it disappeared.

it also moved as we changed frame rates.

At 48 fps it was the worst, widest.

At 32 fps it was smaller.

At 60 fps it was not present.

We detached all accessories and ran on battery, as well as "rebooted" the camera.

All to no avail.

Any ideas, thoughts? Thanks!

• Premium Member

Weird. What were you shooting? Were you under fluorescent practicals? Were you using a 180 shutter? The only thing I can think of right now is that it might be some kind of syncro scan issue, since you mention it went away at 60fps. I'd be curious to know if it was present at 30fps as well...

Was it just in the viewfinder or in all the monitors as well? Was it still there when you transferred the footage and reviewed it?

I've seen something similar to this before, and it turned out to be a bad connection with the camera to viewfinder. Had to rig the cable with a certain amount of tension against the body to remedy it before we got a replacement.

We didn't try disconnecting the b&w finder, but we did disconnect the other monitors.

We had a Marshall on the camera and the 17" panasonic.

It wasn't an HMI or flouro kind of thing because it was a straight band right across the entire image.

It looked like the line you would get when shooting a crt on a film camera running at 29.97. Except fainter and wider.

I did think it was a shutter issue but changing the shutter didn't change it.

You know how it is when something goes wrong on a shoot! We probably weren't as scientific as possible.

When we found we could shoot at 60 fps and get a clean image we just went that route immediately.

I am guessing it's a processing or chip issue.

• 7 months later...

Hii Rob.

I think the exact problem is on the camera software.

yes u must take your cam (especialy if still under warranty for repair )

it never happen before , but i report the problem to panasonic asia pacific , cause maybe happen to our camera too

thanks