Arri SR2 insurance estimate!

Harry Long

I think the equipment guy is screwing me over by giving me an incorrect estimate for the camera insurance. What is the estimated value of a rental Arri Sr2 for insurance? Not how much insurance itself but the estimated value of the camera so I can tell the broker.

I think the equipment guy is screwing me over by giving me an incorrect estimate for the camera insurance. What is the estimated value of a rental Arri Sr2 for insurance? Not how much insurance itself but the estimated value of the camera so I can tell the broker.

Having just bought an ARRI SR2, Ive wondered this myself. But every camera is different.

I suppose these things matter:

condition

model number

lens mount type

standard / super / ultra gate

speed control

And is this just for the body, or does it come with glass, mags, batteries, etc?

• Premium Member

Harry,

You need to be more specific. Is this a standard or Super 16 camera? High Speed? PL mount? How many magazines; are there extra on-board or block batteries. What kind of eyepiece? Are you including lenses, matte box, filters, follow focus in the insurance?

Just for reference, I've seen a couple of CSC rental SR3 Advanced packages on ebay recently for, I believe, under $15,000 for the camera body, eyepiece and a couple of mags.

-Fran

sorry I completely forgot to include the details...

The package includes

3 x 400 feet magazines

3 on-board batteries

Media Logic crystal speed control

3" x 3" lightweight matte box

follow focus

Ziess T3 zoom lens set 10-100mm

super 16mm, not high speed.

i doubt it's PL but not sure.

What is the estimated value of this package? It's condition is unknown to me but it's a rental house so it's definitely used alot.

• Premium Member
Just for reference, I've seen a couple of CSC rental SR3 Advanced packages on ebay recently for, I believe, under $15,000 for the camera body, eyepiece and a couple of mags.

-Fran

Fran,

That was a few months ago, now they are selling them loaded for $13,000. Three mags, IVS video tap, baseplate, 19mm rods, the works. For $13,000. And that's the Advanced camera, not the standard SR3. Unbelievable.

Best,

-Tim

• Premium Member

The package includes

3 x 400 feet magazines

3 on-board batteries

follow focus

What is the estimated value of this package? It's condition is unknown to me but it's a rental house so it's definitely used alot.

Harry,

Are you aware that the Zeiss T3 10-100 will not cover Super 16? If you want to shoot Super 16 with that camera package, you are going to need different lenses.

Best,

-Tim

• Premium Member

The package includes

3 x 400 feet magazines

3 on-board batteries

follow focus

Harry,

If the camera is Super 16 it almost certainly has a PL mount. I believe almost all SR conversions to S16 include a PL conversion as a matter of course. I'm guessing it's a standard 16 camera because, as Tim pointed out, the 10-100mm t/3 Zeiss won't cover Super 16 on the wider end. I'm not an expert, but I'd guess replacement value would be under $15K for the package you describe. Not sure who could confirm this.

-Fran

You should ask the guy to be specific. Insurance usually asks for replacement cost new, (which doesn't make sense because they aren't made anymore, but what makes sense about insurance) or would they take a used estimate?

Best

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Insurance is always different. There's no set rate. The insurer decides based on the factors they choose.

But, if it's any help, I recently paid 700$ to insure our gear for a shoot. It included a SR2 and 8 Zeiss high-speed primes. I'm not positive, but I think that bought us $100 or 150,000 worth of insurance.

• 3 years later...

I shot a short film not to long ago and used the ARRI SR2. Great camera! We had to get insurance not only to cover the camera, but in order to get a permit to shoot in a state park. I ended up contacting Film Emporium to get insurance. they had a package where I got coverage for the gear and liability to satisfy the permit office. Quick and painless. I recommend checking them out.

www.FilmEmporium.com