Respect to cam ops

Hunter Hampton

Guest stevie wara
Just pulled a 15hr day shooting hand held with a pv gold- holy crap I don't know how you guys do it- my back is so wacked out now.

Hi. You should get yourself an A-Minima by Aaton. It's way easier for handheld work. ;)

True, almost any Panaflex is heavy, no doubt, but feature Operators don't generally have it on their shoulder for more than the length of a 400' mag at max. Then they get to dump it off to an AC.

Twenty years of "video cameras" on my shoulder ... where it can easily be up there for thirty + minutes at a time... picking it up and putting it down by myself.... pushing my own gear around... all the lights and grip and everything in and out of the truck... into stages and buildings and elevators by myself....

Yes, it all hurts and I've got the f'd up arms and xrays to prove it. :) So, I think I'd trade in all of that for 3 minute "pops" with a Flex any day. ;)

• Premium Member

I was mostly a B-cam 2nd on this shoot but I operated a few days when we had lots of cameras out, our crew got thin on those days so I didnt have an assitant to dump the camera to. Lots of fun though despite the pain, maybe I can work my way up to an xl one of these days.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

I agree with Brian regarding long amounts of time while doing handheld. Much worse.

But here is the worst handheld camera setup I've ever used. Luckily the takes were only a couple of minutes.

post-239-1267490223.jpeg

Panastar with an 11-1. I had the 1000 footer on it previously but we ran out of 1000's and had to go to 400's which was much worse.