Canon S16 Zooms

Hi all,

I am a student beginning production on my thesis and I'd like to shoot it myself rather than hire a DP. I am looking for opinions on a certain lens, the Canon 11.5-138 T2.5. I have done a test shoot with an Optex/Cooke 10.8-60mm lens and was unimpressed by how it performed at the closer end of the zoom, though In the middle it was quite nice. How does the glass on this Canon lens compare to a lens like that? Does anyone have any experience with it to know the characteristics of the image at different focal lengths and f-stops? Is there a similar lens I should look into?

I am mainly attracted to its zoom range, relative speed, and minimum focus length. It seems like a great all-around lens.

Edited by Michael S

• Premium Member
Hi all,

I am a student beginning production on my thesis and I'd like to shoot it myself rather than hire a DP. I am looking for opinions on a certain lens, the Canon 11.5-138 T2.5. I have done a test shoot with an Optex/Cooke 10.8-60mm lens and was unimpressed by how it performed at the closer end of the zoom, though In the middle it was quite nice. How does the glass on this Canon lens compare to a lens like that? Does anyone have any experience with it to know the characteristics of the image at different focal lengths and f-stops? Is there a similar lens I should look into?

I am mainly attracted to its zoom range, relative speed, and minimum focus length. It seems like a great all-around lens.

All zoom lenses are a compromise of sorts.

I've used both the lenses you've mentioned. The canon is generally excellent. Realistically, it's more like a T2.8 for starters. It tends to fall over at the longer end of the zoom. Zoomed all the way in the lens tends to go milky in the blacks and the contrast will be lower. the flatness of the field also diverges from it's previously acceptable standard....

jb

All zoom lenses are a compromise of sorts.

I've used both the lenses you've mentioned. The canon is generally excellent. Realistically, it's more like a T2.8 for starters. It tends to fall over at the longer end of the zoom. Zoomed all the way in the lens tends to go milky in the blacks and the contrast will be lower. the flatness of the field also diverges from it's previously acceptable standard....

jb

Thanks for your input, very good to know, and if I end up renting it I will take care on the long end of the zoom. Do you prefer the lens to the Optex/Cooke? In my Optex/Cooke test I found what you describe to be 'milky' and low contrast in the wider portion of that lens (which isn't good because I will be using it quite a bit) but my eye might just be poorly trained :)

Do you know where I can see footage shot with the lens?

Edited by Michael Summers