Ajami

I just saw the trailer for the Israeli film "Ajami," and it looks like it was shot, at least partly, on digital. Does anyone know the technical specs for that film? It looks interesting. Thanks!

I think it was shot with a small HDV camera(Z1, Z7), but I have to make a comment here...

Many times in the forum people are talking about the technical aspect of a film, but most times it's the least important thing for a DOP to deal with, as I see my art as one where I just need to find the right tool for a specific story, and each story needs different tools, and what is important is the story and acting and the world the characters inhibits. For almost 100 years cinema was mainly shot on one format and it never stopped DOP's to tell stories in different ways.

What is so good about Ajami and I'm quoting one of the posts I read on IMDB: "Unlike many films from Israel which traditionally present an "Israeli" or "Palestinian" point of view, "Ajami" portrays a side of life that few ever see -- Arabs living in Israel. In fact, not only is this film not primarily about Arabs and Israelis, it actually deals with conflict within the Israeli Arab world between Muslims and Christians."

I'll add and say that the film was co-directed by and Arab Israeli and a jewish Israeli and got big box office success in Israel, what made me so happy as it shows cinema can sometimes make one understand the other point of view a bit better.

I think it was shot with a small HDV camera(Z1, Z7), but I have to make a comment here...

Many times in the forum people are talking about the technical aspect of a film, but most times it's the least important thing for a DOP to deal with, as I see my art as one where I just need to find the right tool for a specific story, and each story needs different tools, and what is important is the story and acting and the world the characters inhibits. For almost 100 years cinema was mainly shot on one format and it never stopped DOP's to tell stories in different ways.

What is so good about Ajami and I'm quoting one of the posts I read on IMDB: "Unlike many films from Israel which traditionally present an "Israeli" or "Palestinian" point of view, "Ajami" portrays a side of life that few ever see -- Arabs living in Israel. In fact, not only is this film not primarily about Arabs and Israelis, it actually deals with conflict within the Israeli Arab world between Muslims and Christians."

I'll add and say that the film was co-directed by and Arab Israeli and a jewish Israeli and got big box office success in Israel, what made me so happy as it shows cinema can sometimes make one understand the other point of view a bit better.

Oron, I totaly agree, but sometime I want to know what tools more experinced DP´s as me chose to tell their story with, so I´ll know better how to choose the tools to tell my specific story, and that´s when I usually go to cinematography.com... ;)

all the best,

Dror

Oron, I totaly agree, but sometime I want to know what tools more experinced DP´s as me chose to tell their story with, so I´ll know better how to choose the tools to tell my specific story, and that´s when I usually go to cinematography.com... ;)

all the best,

Dror

Dear Dror,

I asked the DOP Boaz Yacov and he told me they shot it on Sony 900R, from I understand sometimes they had more then one camera.

As for choosing your tolls, I think you are right, is just that sometimes I feel that people on the forum are putting too much effort on understanding the technical side of the art and not the art itself.

Just my opinion.

Cheers,

Oron.