Shooting green screen on DVC HD

Tjerker

Hi Tjerker

very happy to have found your thread.

i was given a job shooting an intro for a TV show, using a Varicam and a bluescreen.

(The production decided on the camera)

I have never used the camera before, and only done bluescreen twice before.

I was about to post when I read this.

So to everyone who have replied (specially David Cox), thanks alot.

Good luck Tjerker

Good luck to you, too! Let me know how it went...

• 3 months later...

Landon, you sure are doing a lot of "raping" in your feature...sure it'll get past the sensors? :lol:

I'm doing some greenscreen work, and with modern tools, if you are going for a surreal type of look, even SD is good enough. If they have to "really" live in that world, I might go super16mm instead.

Again, DVC HD is HD, Digibeta is SD. Digibeta is Interlaced, Varicam is Progressive scan, Digibeta has like 500,000 pixels, Varicam has 1.1 Million. Varicam is not as compressed as digibeta....

Of course There will be a difference in the quality, and most people will be able to see it. Recently I was shown a test of a Varicam vs. HDW-900.... You would be surprised how much difference a little lower compression and twice the amount of pixels make.

If you have plans to shoot with a varicam, at least use a HDW-F900. You can get them now for $1,200.00/day where as a Varicam will run you at least $900 if not $1,000.00.

You really can tell the differnce between 1.1 Million and 2.2 Million pixels, trust me. Even more if it's on greenscreen, where you need every last pixels you can get. It's worth another $200/day.

But back to your question; No, Digibeta will not be as good as DVC PRO HD. As fare as Image quality anyway. It may be cheaper to shoot, but again we com back to my original statement: "You get what you pay for!"

Just my opinion on the matter.