Kodak Film Calculator App Now Available

Sue Smith

Kodak has released the KODAK Film Calculator and Glossary application, the first of several Kodak Cinema Tools to be released, as a free download from the iTunes App Store. The tool determines the running time for any length of film in any format, or how much film is needed for a specific duration, making complex mathematical calculations quickly and conveniently.

“This is the first Kodak Cinema Tool to be made available as an application for mobile device users,” says Nicole Phillips, Kodak’s director of web marketing for the Entertainment Imaging Division. “We plan to release additional applications in the near future, with the goal of helping filmmakers bring their visions to the screen.

"This Film Calculator app provides quick, on-the-spot answers to questions wherever and whenever they arise. As we begin our foray into mobile tools, we look forward to offering new ways to connect our customers to information they need, effortlessly.”

When using the KODAK Film Calculator app, information can be entered into fields where data is known: format, length, run time and frame rate. The app then calculates and supplies the other variables. Film length can be measured in feet or meters for all formats, including Super 8, 16 mm, 35 mm, three-perf 35 mm, and 65 mm film. The intuitive user interface includes a “reset” button that makes recalculating data easy, and the “film format” drop down menu allows switching and comparing formats at the touch of a finger.

The application also includes KODAK’s Glossary, which provides instant definitions for hundreds of filmmaking terms. The glossary is designed to help filmmakers and their collaborators communicate clearly and accurately.

“Our customers are accessing information online and through social media networks, and we plan to continue to focus our efforts in these areas, supporting their needs and making information even more readily accessible at the touch of a button,” adds Phillips.

Kodak’s Entertainment Imaging Division is the world-class leader in providing film, digital and hybrid motion imaging products, services, and technology for the professional motion picture and exhibition industries. For more information, visit www.kodak.com/go/motion.

Follow Kodak on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/KodakMotionPictureFilm

or how much film is needed for a specific duration, making complex mathematical calculations quickly and conveniently.

Oh dear (sigh).

Working out a film budget, including taxes, rebates, pre-sales and so on would be complex. Working out the carbon footprint of a roll of stock would be a complex calculation. Converting running time to length (eg multiply by 90fpm for 35mm 4 perf) isn't complex.

I thought at least it would include a factor for shooting ratio, but no.

It's probably a handy app if you don't know the factors, but hardly complex.

And by the way, the example definition (of latitude) shown on the iTunes download page is misleading at best, but I'd say "wrong".

Oh dear (sigh).

Working out a film budget, including taxes, rebates, pre-sales and so on would be complex. Working out the carbon footprint of a roll of stock would be a complex calculation. Converting running time to length (eg multiply by 90fpm for 35mm 4 perf) isn't complex.

I thought at least it would include a factor for shooting ratio, but no.

It's probably a handy app if you don't know the factors, but hardly complex.

And by the way, the example definition (of latitude) shown on the iTunes download page is misleading at best, but I'd say "wrong".

A quick glance through the Kodak glossary shows some very odd explanations - 'Grayscale - a black and white image' for example. The definitions for A and B wind stock do not specify whether you are looking at the emulsion or the base side so are no help whatsoever.

Brian

but it's just like their half-arsed Look Manager,

Don't get me started, John.

They missed so many opportunities with that software - or, rather, with the software they could have developed with the knowledge of colour science they have, or had, in the company. But, like this little app, it seems to be designed for what it could do, rather than what would be useful.

But their film stock is still an amazingly excellent way of capturing images.

• Premium Member
They missed so many opportunities with that software - or, rather, with the software they could have developed with the knowledge of colour science they have,

That's what is so sad about Kodak. They held all this great IP on colour science and digital imaging. They were leaders when it came to sensor design (Cinesite cineon / Spirit anyone ?) and they somehow threw it all away....

jb

You don't know the half of it John. They used to build the SENSORS in all of Nikon's digital cameras (back when they cost more than a car and sometimes could only shoot B&W for transmission via a fax machine back to the news station).

Kodak has a legacy of taking great products, innovations, or personnel and either squandering them, hiding them, or firing them.

I think they still make the world's best color neg. film albeit with half the color stability of anything Fuji makes (really pisses me off when they talk about standards too, because they formed their own standards committee, which has half-as-rigid testing standards to "fix" this problem when Scorsese et al brought it up in 1980).

Kodak could have made a FORTUNE on digital imaging, but they got greedy selling film. Happened with S8, happened with still film, could happen with MoPic next if they aren't careful. I hear they just ended their digital server service for cinemas, so they are jettisoning yet another aspect of their future in the movie business.

I hear they just ended their digital server service for cinemas, so they are jettisoning yet another aspect of their future in the movie business.

That decision hurt many of their people in the field who believed that it was a well-judged replacement product (and continuation/expansion of their existing Cinema Automation programs), as the demand for print film stock would dwindle.

But Kodak have been used to market domination (in film) and they don't seem to have the stomach for more competitive sectors, where they are up against other market leaders such as Christie.