Waveform & Vectorscope for Laptop

Karl Martin

I've heard tell of software that lets you monitor video signal on a laptop, even giving you synthetic - but accurate - waveform and chroma burst displays.

Does anyone have experience with this product?

Does anybody know what it's called, and who manufactures it...?

I've heard tell of software that lets you monitor video signal on a laptop, even giving you synthetic - but accurate - waveform and chroma burst displays.

Does anyone have experience with this product?

Does anybody know what it's called, and who manufactures it...?

www.seriousmagic.com

DV RACK

Guest Timothy Brown

If you're working on a macintosh laptop, you could use FCP. I've used FCP to monitor shots on several occasions and it works well. I don't, however, believe it has the same feature set as DV Rack.

Hope this helps.

-Tim

• 1 month later...
Guest Tom Gerard

I've been using DV rack since it came out last year, & i find it indispensible for the videography that I do. The field monitor is calibrated using color bars so that what you see is the signal you're recording. The vectorscope & waveform monitors help to analyze the signal. You can record to your hard drive, then instantly review a clip. You can compare clips in a split screen. Points where the video or audio signal clips are marked on the timeline for you. Best of all, I can just drop the clips into the NLE for editing without having to capture from tape.

Does the DVRACK have the option to record photo-jpeg offline footage onto the HD? It'd be nice if you could record onto the laptop and then transfer that footage to your server, then do your offline edits on FCP.

I suppose FCP has this ability- doesn't it? But pricewise, it would make more sense to take el cheapo PC laptop into the field than your $1700 powerbook.

• 1 year later...

Also check out VIDSCOPE by HAMLET. It has a RGB Parade, which DV RACK doesn't have. DV RACK only has a YUV parade, which i've yet to find a use for.

Does the DVRACK have the option to record photo-jpeg offline footage onto the HD? It'd be nice if you could record onto the laptop and then transfer that footage to your server, then do your offline edits on FCP.

I suppose FCP has this ability- doesn't it? But pricewise, it would make more sense to take el cheapo PC laptop into the field than your $1700 powerbook.