Eclair ACL minus inching knob

Josh Hill

• Premium Member

So one postponed music video (music film?) shoot, after realizing my ACL only had one 400' core adapter, I also realize that my ACL is without inching knob. An eBay camera, I didn't realize there was no inching knob until after I bought it (and after I had it serviced).

Since the inching knob seems a necessary step in loading the camera (making sure the claw engages a film perf), I'm wondering if anyone can think of an acceptable work around. I would think that running the camera initially at, say, 8fps would be enough to cause the perf to engage (since that's essentially what you're doing when you turn in the inching knob), but want to know what others think.

Is this far less of an issue than I am thinking it is going to be?

perhaps take a picture of it, the inching knob is the end of the motor, so if the inching knob is damaged, your motor could be damaged or unprotected. You might want to ask Bernie about finding a replacement. If the motor is running fine, it should be okay to run without the inching knob, but I wouldn't do it long term. As for loading, you don't need the inching knob, I always just put the magazine in the camera at 12fps and run it with the take up side open for a few secs. You can check the film movement and it only wastes a few seconds.

I've had similar problems finding core adapters. One thing you could do for now is shoot 100 feet at a time onto daylight spools from the 400 foot load. Or if you can find the square hole to spool core adapters without the wall on ebay for cheap. I have a few of these and find my magazine actually runs better with the smaller core on the take up side. It is very hard to find the real eclair adapters for sale. Also don't bother with 200 or 400 daylight spools, they are too wide and the magazine will not work with them.

dsc00036i.jpg

Edited by Evan Ferrario

The inching knob also allows you to move the reflex mirror into place after each shot because when the motor stops the shutter just stops wherever, then you use the inching knob to move the reflex mirror back into place so you can use the viewfinder. Its annoying but an essential piece.

• Premium Member

Hey guys, talked to Bernie about both of these issues (he's sending me a second core adapter -- if you need one you should give Bernie O'Doherty at Super16 Inc. a call).

All the manuals/etc. that I've read about properly loading the magazine have suggested that the inching knob was necessary for the claw to grab the perf in the film. Bernie also gave me a work-around on that one by putting on an extra frame on the bottom of the loop.

Thanks for all the advice though! A few hours after I posted this Bernie gave me a call and we joked about the whole thing. He's a great guy -- I wish I had a second Eclair to send to him.

The inching knob also allows you to move the reflex mirror into place after each shot because when the motor stops the shutter just stops wherever, then you use the inching knob to move the reflex mirror back into place so you can use the viewfinder. Its annoying but an essential piece.

Hey Rob,

What you describe is only true for the early models of ACL motors : the single speed (MIALA) motors, and the first generation of multi-speed heavy duty motors (MIMUL). From about 1975, Eclair shipped the ACLs with the next multi-speed motor (MIVAR) which has an automatic mirror parking feature (brings the reflex mirror back into viewing position at the end of each take, and when you first turn the camera on too). These motors (and the latest MIPIL model with external control feature) are identified by the (strange) mirror icon on the front of the inching wheel. All of the motors that have that icon should do this, unless they are starting to malfunction.

Check the work I have started to do to identifies all of the evolutions of the ACL on the eclair16.com site for more on this. Also, if any of you are willing to help us complete the site, please get in touch with me : I need pics and serial numbers of ACLs to complete my history of the model.

Let's keep these great cameras running, guys!

Boris