Arri II's sync connector

GeorgeSelinsky

Hello everyone,

As I continue working on my IIc, I was wondering, perhaps it is time to take advantage of that six pin DIN connector in back of it. I want to see if I can capture the pulse that comes from the motor and lay it onto one of the stereo channels of my recorder. This way I can sync up my footage with considerably greater ease than before if I have this guide wave on one of my sound channels.

Does anyone know of the pin layout? Is the signal of the right strength to go onto a mic input of a sound recorder?

Any advice is appreciated,

- G.

Guest Sean McVeigh
Does anyone know of the pin layout? Is the signal of the right strength to go onto a mic input of a sound recorder?

Best bet, aside from getting the pinout and specs from the manufacturer is to get an oscilloscope on it and find out what is going on. If there's a tach pulse train coming out, you could probably record the tone, but you might need to investigate preamps or opto-isolation or something similar.

• 9 months later...

I just got a set of schematics for the 120s blimp. They have some details about the pilotone output of the IIC camera. The blimp connects to the camera through the tuchel (din) plug. It does so to relay the pilotone signal out to a tape recorder, and to connect the blimps power supply to the buckle switch (film tension switch) in the camera. It does the latter because blimped camera motors derive their power from the blimp itself, so the buckle switch, in this case, not only controls the motor but also the other blimp systems. It is kind of handy design feature.

If you are facing the back of the camera looking at the tuchel port there are 6 pin conections. Starting from the center pin (#6) we go to the bottom left pin (#5) and work our way around, counter clock wise, to the bottom right pin (#1). I tried to upload a diagram but could not get it to work:(

Pins #4 and #6 go to the buckel switch. So for pilotone purposes you can ignore these. That still leaves 1, 2, 3, and 5.

The schematics I have do not show any specifics about the camera wirring for pilotone but they do show that the cable that comes from the tape recorder has a jumper accross pins 4 and 5. So, this leaves 1, 2, and 3.

I have recently purchased another camera. It hasn't arrived yet, I know very little about it's condition, or if it even has the pilotone out. If it does I will open it up and figure this out.

1. Not offhand.

2. Heck no, a pilot signal is usually about 1.25 volts while a mic level might be .001 volts.

You might be better served to find an ancient Nagra-3 which has the connector that is meant to go on the other end of this cable. You could pick this up for next to nothing (Nagras are being used as excellent doorstops these days) and record very nice, clean sync sound that will only be marred by

- 15 minute tape lengths (at $4 a pop)

- mono recording

- the incredible racket that you Arri 2c will be spitting out.

But at least you won't have to reinvent the wheel.

• 2 weeks later...
You might be better served to find an ancient Nagra-3 which has the connector that is meant to go on the other end of this cable.

The Nagra 3 pilot input connector is NOT wired the same as the pilot output of the Arri.

Nagra 3 pilot wiring, 6 pin female Tuchel plug:

1 Pilot Input 1 volt nominal sine wave

2,3 Ground

4 Speed correction input (do not feed anything into this pin!)

5 Pilot output in microvolt range (do not feed anything into this pin!)

6 Marker Input +12V for bloop oscillator

I haven't yet found the wiring scheme for the Arri 35. I don't think it is the same as for the 16mm.

The Nagra 3 pilot input connector is NOT wired the same as the pilot output of the Arri.

After some digging I have found the pilot connector wiring for the Arri 16-M, 16-ST and perhaps the 16-BL. These use a 5-pin Tuchel however instead of the 6-pin mentioned. So the wiring may be similar or else totally different. Note that 4 and 5 are tied together but not connected to the cable.

1 Pilot output

2 Ground

3 +12 volts during start mark

4 link to pin 5 to enable start mark

5 link to pin 4 to enable start mark