New Projects?

Will Montgomery

Been shooting 16mm for fun and art for about 2 years. Used to shoot S8 but made the jump when I got a Bolex Rex4 package... I have an HD camera, but only used it twice. Shooting HD doesn't have near the thrill, asthetic, or creative possibilities as film. HD is fine when you want a clean, utilitarian, neautral, real time, booooring image.

Anthony: The original poster is talking about at the very least, budgeted Indy films, moreso theatrical motion pictures and television shows.

Shooting 16 of your family doesn't really count. I don't consider my personal 16mm projects "New Projects" either.

Personal stuff simply doesn't compare to series that shoot 100,000 feet per episode. . .

Anthony: The original poster is talking about at the very least, budgeted Indy films, moreso theatrical motion pictures and television shows.

Shooting 16 of your family doesn't really count. I don't consider my personal 16mm projects "New Projects" either.

Personal stuff simply doesn't compare to series that shoot 100,000 feet per episode. . .

Then it might be interesting to see who's actually shooting more 16mm these days... The TV industry, or me :P

As far as those currently shooting, I couldn't say. You could look on IMDB but it is like Wikipedia: More often than not the small details are wrong.

Recent shoots on 16mm include "The Wrestler," as well as I want to say the latest "Halloween" remake.

The new Matt Damon "Bourne" style movie looks like it is either 16mm or really really really grainy 35mm (looks to be a mix of digital as well).

I bet that Disney nature doc. "Oceans" coming up has a spattering of 16mm in it also. And the Ken Burns documentary on the national parks was all S16.

I think there are only a handful of TV shows still shot on 16. The Starz series "Crash" is shot on S16 and they do a nice job with it (although, storywise, the show wasn't nearly as good in its second season as it was in its first. . .)

As for people still shooting home movies, yeah, I GUESS it's interesting, but ultimately irrelevant. It'd be significant if EVERY family in the U.S. did it to Kodak's continuing film production, but that wasn't even the case at the HEIGHT of home movies, in the 1960s. Most people settled for R8 and S8, which could never compete with the massive amounts of 35mm Hollywood was shooting.

Even the 16mm news, and scientific testing, which consumed fair amounts of VNF, didn't compare with theatrical film production and distribution. VNF was kept alive on life support for a good 25 years after the television news went digital too.

Edited by Karl Borowski

NFL FILMS still does s16.

I believe they have between 2 to 4 guys armed with ARRI SR's to every single NFL game throughout the season. That's like the equivalent of 13 movies being shot every week during the season.

Edited by Keneu Luca