New member wonders

Pieter de Vries

Crickey! I just signed up and viewed this topic thinking it was about 3D equipment. I may be way off the mark, but it appears it's actually a thread showcasing someone's comic book artistry.

Where can I find the area of the forum that offers useful advice on 3D camera equipment?

• Premium Member
Crickey! I just signed up and viewed this topic thinking it was about 3D equipment. I may be way off the mark, but it appears it's actually a thread showcasing someone's comic book artistry.

Where can I find the area of the forum that offers useful advice on 3D camera equipment?

All of the information is still present in that thread. Read and ignore the pictures.

What camera person doesn't like pictures?

Pete, what advice are you after in particular?

• Premium Member
Please tell me there isn't really a person in the world called Pieter de Vries.

Edit: There is really a person in the world called Pieter de Vries. That's fantastic!

There sure is.

Piet's a great DP and it would be great to have him around here. Welcome to the forums Piet ! Do you know Leonard Coster by any chance ? He's Sydney based and as been working on some great stereo rigs for various camera packages...i can put you in touch if you wish.

jb

Pete, what advice are you after in particular?

Hi Scott, I'm just trying to update myself as it's been a few years since I was behind a 3D camera. I'm currently looking to find the best image quality in the most compact camera system. I have experience using the Panavision/Sony 3D camera - seven years ago I used that system on a 3D Imax shoot "Ghosts of the Abyss" and that was a relatively large system with cables everywhere.

A few producers are asking for equipment quotes to shoot in 3D and I'm hoping to find some info in these forums. I feel that I'm in the right place for that.

There sure is.

Piet's a great DP and it would be great to have him around here. Welcome to the forums Piet ! Do you know Leonard Coster by any chance ? He's Sydney based and as been working on some great stereo rigs for various camera packages...i can put you in touch if you wish.

jb

Hi John and thanks for your very nice welcome message. Like many DP's I'm on the lookout for the best 3D cameras available and everyone is onto it right now. I don't know Leonard and would like to have a chat to him. Please put me in touch with him as you suggested.

Nice hearing from you.

piet

Please tell me there isn't really a person in the world called Pieter de Vries.

Edit: There is really a person in the world called Pieter de Vries. That's fantastic!

Phil, there are lots of us and not just in Holland - I'm the Aussie version! :rolleyes:

Hello Peter.

Welcome to the throng. I have not long signed up myself and am nowhere near your league of achievement. Hopefully we may plumb your knowledge for good advice.

There are two SI2Ks with identical lens sets over here in Western Australia and they have been put to an un-natural relationship for some local 3D tests.

Here are two links to a short clip I extracted from one of the shots. The other more elaborate shots with greenscreen I have no clearance to manipulate and publish.

These clips, one an anaglyph render, the other a side-by-side view (crosseyed) render are not optimised for 3D viewing on youtube.

Side-by-side, the cameras can be mounted with optical centres about 72mm separated when the IMS mount rings are taken off and C-Mount rings screwed into the fronts. With adjacent side-walls milled down, I have worked out that two heads, wearing small C-mount lenses could be just made to work at the human interocular distance of 66mm or thereabouts. I don't think anyone is going to mutilate their SI2K mini heads anytime soon just to do this.

A more practical separation of optical centres which permits acceptable convergence adjustment is about 82mm.

Steve Rice who owns one of the cameras and a slumdog rig is off today to Germany to have a look at the Weisscam, the P+S 3D rig and to talk to a 3D shooter/steadycam op in the UK.

There is a new product under refinement called the cinedeck which will be about the size of a small laptop and will work with two SI2K Mini camera heads via data cables. This unit is already sold for other consumer/prosumer camera-recorder types. Ari Presler at Silicon imaging can tell you all about it and how far they have progressed. A version has already been improvised and used in the UK.

One of those commonly mounted with two camera heads on a Slumdog rig with two eyepieces and follow-focus commonly geared to both lenses would be the ducks guts and we are hopefull that is where the evolution is headed. A geared convergence system would be a bonus. Probably all very pricey too.

Currently we are going the cumbersome route of using two Mini heads tethered to their heavy docking recorder units by data cables and linked to a sync box. We bolted the recorder units down to a plate on a post which socketted into one of the seat sockets for his Elemack.

Edited by Robert Hart

Hi Scott, I'm just trying to update myself as it's been a few years since I was behind a 3D camera. I'm currently looking to find the best image quality in the most compact camera system. I have experience using the Panavision/Sony 3D camera - seven years ago I used that system on a 3D Imax shoot "Ghosts of the Abyss" and that was a relatively large system with cables everywhere.

A few producers are asking for equipment quotes to shoot in 3D and I'm hoping to find some info in these forums. I feel that I'm in the right place for that.

Pieter, my experience at this stage is primarily with the Pace HD 3D systems (side-by-side and beamsplitters).

These systems are still tethered but only by a single fiber cable.

Lately I've been looking into the Element Technica Qasar rigs for another movie shooting later this year.

From what I've seen so far they are a big improvement. They use 2 x RedOne's but are capable of running other bodies.

The advantage of these is their solid frame, resulting in less alignment issues. I have not had a chance to look into the brains of this system yet, which is ofcourse the clincher for workability on set. The Pace systems have a developed and tested network that controls all 6 camera variables (I/O, convergence, mirror, zoom, focus, iris).

I'm working away for the next three weeks but when I get back to sydney I'll be able to shed some more light on the E.T. system.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

Pieter,

Have a look at the Phantom 65 with their cinemags. They will give you 4K with on-board recording of their raw data. They can be synced together. Put them on a rig and you have a (relatively) small, self-contained system, with good adjustment capabilities.

Good luck,

James Neihouse

Director of Photography

HUBBLE 3D