The Camera Assistant: A Complete Professional Handbook VS. The Camera Assistants Manual

• Premium Member
The_Camera_Assistant_s_Manual__Fifth_Edition_11.05.2009_0_00_00.jpg9780240800424.jpg

Which book would you recommend first?

Or which one do you think is better?

The Camera Assistant: A Complete Professional Handbook

Or

The Camera Assistant's Manual

I like Doug Hart's book better. They're both worth reading but get Doug's first.

• Premium Member

I have both as well. As a disclosure I also know both David and Doug... I find Doug's book to contain more information, but David's is an easier read. I would get both. In the grand scheme of things the two books might run you like $75 which is a small investment in your future.

I'd also buy the ASC manual. Its great especially when your stuck with an obscure camera that you don't know. (I had a really old Aaton once... and it saved my butt)

~Marque

• 2 weeks later...

I'm 2/3 of the way though Elkins book and it's been really informative for me. I'm currently a runner but looking to get into camera department so I picked this up so I would have an idea of what would be expected of me as a 2nd or loader and the book does a great job of summarising this.

I'm working on film for the first time this week (HD only so far) and it's quite a small crew so hopefully, if I get asked to help out with camera at all I'll have at least some idea of what to do!

• 8 years later...