Tron Legacy

Guest Stephen Murphy

Guest Stephen Murphy

I've just seen the new trailer for Tron 2 in Imax and it looks like Claudio Miranda has done a wonderful job. 3D suits the world of Tron more then it does the real world footage but thats to be expected. Beautiful colour palette throughout - cant wait to see this, although If possible I'll try and see it in 2D.

• Premium Member

I recall seeing a preview for Tron up on apple trailers awhile ago and was pretty blown away by how well it seemed to suit. While I havn't seen the original Tron in ages, I have to agree with you that the "world" created seems wonderful as did the sound design in that trailer footage (something often overlooked in creating believable virtual worlds)

Guest Stephen Murphy

Looks cool.

Wrong trailer. The new trailer should be in front of Alic in Wonderland this week so i expect it'll hit the net soon.

• 3 weeks later...
Wrong trailer. The new trailer should be in front of Alic in Wonderland this week so i expect it'll hit the net soon.

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/disney/tronlegacy/

The trailer posted 03/09/10 is pretty new, do they have a even newer one? I actually think this will have a better story line than the first.

• 7 months later...

I saw the original Tron several times in theaters. It had that quality so few films have of portraying the story in a dream-like pace and visuals. Vertigo

had the same effect on me when I got to see the restoration on the big screen.

Looking forward to seeing the new one, hope it has the magic.

Can't wait for it. The 3D sequences is makes me excited about this sequel. Production design, combined with computer generated imagery looks rather fantastic to me. I agree with Phil Rhodes though, in regards to the "real world footage". They should have done the "real world footage" in 35, and let it play counterpart to the large format CGI sequences.

The trailer looked interesting in 2D - not sure what version I'll see either 3d or 2d. My current local cinemas all have not very good Real-D installations - dim images with noticeable ghosting.

I quite like dobly 3D - but its very rare in the UK, everyone seems to use RealD.

• 4 weeks later...

Went with a group to this last night - two us wanted to see it in 2D (me and another) but the majority vote was for IMAX 3D ...

Well, must say - certainly the best 3D I've seen yet - glad we opted for it

As for the film, well - hmmm, having fallen asleep rewatching the original a few weeks ago, I think I lost interest at about the same point. End of act one as film school types might put it. After the motorcycle scene which was a beaut I think the effects/CG had nothing more to give so it was up to the story from that point on, which for me didn't deliver. A few inside jokes and a couple of perhaps unintended laughs were all there were in the fun department - too po-faced and hackneyed otherwise.

What was with the lasers on the flying things ?!? They could have gone with a more tricky 3D flying version of the motorcycles! Give us something new to ponder/marvel at - but we're instead just stuck with watching a rehash of luke skywalker manning the turrets of the Millennium Falcon.

Ah well - still worth the ooh ahh and spectacle but could have been much more

This was the first movie that I've seen in 3D in a while, and it was a good choice.

I'm not one for 3D as I've always felt distracted and less connected to the story, but I thought that computer world of Tron would be an excellent setting for a 3D environment. Initially, I thought I may have made a mistake. There was a long exposition that wasn't extraordinarily well constructed, and some odd 3D shots that left me hanging on with one hand, slightly disoriented.

And then came the computer world. AMAZING production design and art direction. AMAZING sound design, the Daft Punk soundtrack was a perfect addition. Great cinematography, and great effects. I was so visually seduced that I didn't mind the iffy story. With that being said, I was pleased with my experience. I'm not sure if I would have enjoyed it in a standard theatre though, the 3D tricks were continually impressive and surprisingly supportive of the story. I would have loved to see the original Tron on 35mm print!

Note: I saw this in RealD 3D

• Premium Member

Saw it in 2D last night (g/f can't really see 3-d... soo). In any case, it was what I wanted, spectical. Sometimes I don't want nor need a super story etc, I just want to be entertained, and I was, so I was happy. I know I should probably aspire for more; but sometimes, you want to NY times front page, and other times you want the comic strips, you know? I would certainly recommend it to anyone. And yes, the score was fantastic.

• Premium Member

Saw it in IMAX 3D. The design work and music score are fantastic. The F35 photography was really nice, the lighting was great, but it looked a bit video-ish and sharpened (for IMAX blow-up), unlike the IMAX trailer for "Pirates of the Caribbean 4" before it, which looked very much like all the other Pirates movies, just without grain, but it looked like they hardly had to apply any sharpening for the IMAX process to it, so it was much less electronic in texture than "Tron".

However, if any movie can justify an electronic look and an overabundance of CGI, it's a Tron movie... I thought the look of the whole thing was perfect for that movie.