Cast and crew needed for Indie film

The Robinson Group is looking for cast and crew for "Legends of Brooklyn", an EMS based, full length feature. Shooting on SAT-SUN in April, with perhaps a couple of FRI. I have no lighting or sound equipment. I do have a Canon HV-40, but if you have something better, I'd be happy to go with that! Non union shoot, with serious intentions to enter film festivals. No pay, but great opportunity for exposure, and meals will be provided.

CREW NEEDED

- DP

- boom operator

- sound mixer

- gaffer

- key grip / dolly grip

- makeup

- PA with a reliable car

CAST NEEDED

LEAD ROLE

- Sara, white female, dark hair, 25-30, serious demeanor, yet cute. Slendor.

SUPPORTING ROLES

- Melissa, Frankie, Jason, Eric, hispanic or white, 20-30, heroin addicts.

- Clyde, black male, 30 or older, local drunk.

- Ms. Powell, black female, 40 or older, articulate, polished, daughter of a patient.

- Terrence, black male, late 30's or older, protagonist' mentor, can be funny, yet serious.

- Savarese, white male or hispanic, 40 or older, calm, seasoned paramedic.

- Lampert, white male or hispanic, 20-30, goofy and obnoxious, know it all paramedic.

- Lisa, black female, 30-35, nine months pregnant, delivers a baby.

- Tammy, black female, 20-25, naive.

- Lola, black female, 18-25, sexy, sassy high school student.

- Helen, black female, 30 or older, heavy set, bad attitude.

Anyone interested, please email me at:

Peoplearescaredofme@yahoo.com

Guest Trevor Swaim
Oh this will be good.

R,

I don't know richard, he does have a Canon HV-40, and he would even be willing to let me use my own gear at no cost to me! Plus he has serious intent to enter a fests, who needs a paycheck when you can get that supreme level of exposure!

I don't know richard, he does have a Canon HV-40, and he would even be willing to let me use my own gear at no cost to me! Plus he has serious intent to enter a fests, who needs a paycheck when you can get that supreme level of exposure!

....OR, you could help this aspiring, but inexperienced director, by telling him how to correct his errors rather than make fun of him. Just a thought.

• Premium Member

Always remember this adage: you get what you pay for.

You can't expect experienced crew members to come out pro-bono. We do this for a living and, like a plumber or an electrician, or a carpenter, no matter how "interesting the project" may be, we have costs to live and hence have to charge.

The worst thing to do is ask people to work for free (not to mention illegal in some instances).

Always remember this adage: you get what you pay for.

You can't expect experienced crew members to come out pro-bono. We do this for a living and, like a plumber or an electrician, or a carpenter, no matter how "interesting the project" may be, we have costs to live and hence have to charge.

The worst thing to do is ask people to work for free (not to mention illegal in some instances).

I get you, bro. But I've heard from many people, some in the industry, who say that experienced people will do projects for free. It's not an overwhelming amount, but there are some who are still willing. My thought is that I can fill up my cast and crew with hungry students, not so much vets like yourself who are used to getting paid, but I certainly understand your POV, too.

• Premium Member
you could help this aspiring, but inexperienced director, by telling him how to correct his errors rather than make fun of him

They are doing. Take it in the manner in which it's intended.

Pay people. Seriously.

This request isn't that out of line. There is a difference between projects that are obviously meant for distribution and those that are being created by someone young who is just starting out. I got my own start by working for free on student films and "deferred payment" projects. Naturally, I didn't know much of anything when I first jumped in, but I learned over time because the DPs on those projects were usually guys who were working Camera Operators, Gaffers, Grips, or ACs in the professional industry.

Those guys did it to "move up," I did it to learn and meet those people, and the young aspiring Directors were able to have a better looking project in the end by having an experienced industry professional instead of having another student in charge of three departments.

But I've heard from many people, some in the industry, who say that experienced people will do projects for free. It's not an overwhelming amount, but there are some who are still willing.

Sure. Experienced people choose to work on projects for a range of reasons...

The project is interesting dramatically, visually, etc. It's a good opportunity - exposure, networking, experience. A chance to work with a particular director, actor, actress or other crew member. It's for a good cause. It's for friends or family. It's for fun. And lastly the most cynical and practical reason - for money. For the really cynical among us - the best most projects can offer is pay - very few offer any other incentive.

So there are a few problems these days asking people to work for free on film projects...

The project isn't that interesting - for example nothing in your 'pitch' for "Legends of Brooklyn" makes me think "wow, that sounds like a story worth telling" or "that will look and sound amazing on the big screen".

Most of them never make it past the edit - those that do rarely make it to a festival - with most ending up on youtube. One in ten thousand make some kind of distribution deal and get seen in cinemas by the general public.

Opportunity. This is a tricky one and it varies from person to person. A couple of examples... a less experienced person will work for free if they think that the opportunity to gain experience or network with others on the project while a more experienced person will work for free if the director shows some kind of talent and might go places - this normally suggests that the director already has a small track record which shows how talented they are.

Other opportunities could be working with a new technology or even an old technology. For example the opportunity to shoot on 35mm (or even 16mm) film might be quite tempting to some here.

Do not use exposure as an incentive unless you can back it up. An example - I personally couldn't offer someone exposure to a large audience or anyone of influence within the larger film industry, but I could probably offer exposure to persons of influence within the vfx industry - which could be great if your a budding young vfx person, not so great for everybody else.

While most film projects could be considered charity cases - most are intended as commercial ventures rather than being for a good cause or a charity.

"For friends, family or fun" is difficult on the internet (unless your asking on Facebook) as most of us here aren't related to you or friends with you.

I hope that helps, somehow.

Do you have a blender? Better yet, a flat screen TV or a Kitchenaid? I might be willing to do a trade.

Seriously dude, yes some people being the key word, are willing to work for free. Your cast is way too big and you should pare it down a little. People working for free might not show up so you want to reduce those odds. Plus you aren't going to get a lot of experienced actors so find the best you can and use them. Don't be overly ambitious your first time out of the gate. People do pull of films for free but they keep it small and concentrate on story. I think everyone wants to hear a little synopsis of what they might be working on. Good luck.

Hmmmm, sensing sarcasm????????

R,

• Premium Member
Do you have a blender? Better yet, a flat screen TV or a Kitchenaid? I might be willing to do a trade.

:lol:

Dude, I like this idea. Ask people for something straight outta their house. "That's a nice couch..."

They might start re-thinking whether they really want to make the film or not.

Although, my apartment would be empty.