ACL stopped working

Darren F

Hi everyone,

I bought my Eclair ACL from a guy in New Jersey through craigslist in 2005. It always had a kind of slow response when I turned it on. I always thought it was the cigarette-lighter connection between the battery and the camera. I've shot over 10000 feet of film with the camera, including 400 ft loads and 200 ft loads. Over the years, the camera has continued to work well, sounds great when it runs, and produces sync footage despite occasional out-of-sync warnings.

Recently I used the camera for the first time in several months. It was cold outside, but the camera worked as usual--with the delay after turning it on before the motor started up. A few weeks later I tried to use it again, and could not get it to work. I assumed that the battery had finally died. All these years I've used the same battery pack that came with the camera and I hadn't recharged the battery in over a year. I tried a recharge and had no luck. Then I bought a new battery, and still, no luck.

There was never any "event" or "bad thing" or smoke rising from the motor to give me an indication of the problem. I've also never had the camera serviced.

Any ideas?

Darren

• Premium Member

Have the camera serviced!

Could be something as simple as a loose connection somewhere, or needs a good lubrication (think the ACL needs lube). But short answer, get the thing serviced. It's a small investment and you'll at least know what's up with it. Look up Bernie @ Super16 Inc

http://www.super16inc.com/index.html

good luck!

Yep, emailed Bernie.

After further fiddling...

Depending on how I depress the "on button" the camera will sometimes operate and other times not. I suppose it's a loose connection in there. Often, the camera will come on when I simply depress the button, but when I slide it over to lock it on, it shuts off. Not every time though... :(

Darren

Have the camera serviced!

Could be something as simple as a loose connection somewhere, or needs a good lubrication (think the ACL needs lube). But short answer, get the thing serviced. It's a small investment and you'll at least know what's up with it. Look up Bernie @ Super16 Inc

http://www.super16inc.com/index.html

good luck!

Yep, emailed Bernie.

After further fiddling...

Depending on how I depress the "on button" the camera will sometimes operate and other times not. I suppose it's a loose connection in there. Often, the camera will come on when I simply depress the button, but when I slide it over to lock it on, it shuts off. Not every time though... :(

Darren

Sounds like a loose connection in the switch, probably as easy fix but you need someone who has a replacement like Bernie.