Super 8 Chinon Pacific SMR12

Ace Palanca

Hi,

I have recently acquired a super 8mm Chinon Pacific SMR 12 camera, and am having problems powering it up. I've put fresh batteries within the battery compartment, and have switched the camera to the on position (there are two switches for some reason, so I switched them both on). Still, whenever I pull the trigger, I hear no motor or see no 'on light'. Could it be that I need a cart of film already inside for the camera to work? Any feedback that could help me out would be greatly appreciated!

Check basics:

Are the contacts inside the battery compartment clean (no corrosion or battery deposits on them)?

You shouldn't need a cartridge for it to run. (However, as a footnote, from what I have read, you do not get the red 'run' light to glow on the camera if you use silent cassettes.)

If you haven't done so, try it at different speed settings to make sure it is not the speed dial that is the problem.

Barring all that, if the motor or circuitry is dead where did you get it, and what is the return agreement, if any? How was it described when you bought it?

Claus.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

I have recently acquired a super 8mm Chinon Pacific SMR 12 camera, and am having problems powering it up. I've put fresh batteries within the battery compartment, and have switched the camera to the on position (there are two switches for some reason, so I switched them both on). Still, whenever I pull the trigger, I hear no motor or see no 'on light'. Could it be that I need a cart of film already inside for the camera to work? Any feedback that could help me out would be greatly appreciated!

if the basics seem to be covered id say its unlikely the camera is dead - but its possible... heres somewhat of a longshot but it could totally be this:

if the camera has a dissolve loop function (where it rewinds the film a bit to let you do cross dissolve types shots) it might have been activated then put back into position a, you'll have to put it back into position b and press the trigger - youll hear the cam run backwards for a few seconds and then everything will be back to normal and operational. just be careful with that rewind dissolve switch.

Hi,

All the other suggestions are good. In addition, assuming there may be corosion in the battery compartment, see if the camera has a 9v wall-power option - it might. Try powering it that way.

Rick

Guest Brett Lewis

Hi mate.. some details on this camera can be found in this previous thread..

http://www.cinematography.com/index.php?sh...=chinon+pacific

I own 3 of these cameras. A possible problem could be some muck inside the Rem.C. (remote control) socket. If the contact is closed with some muck inside the camera will not function. Try sticking a paperclip in there and wiggling it around to see if the camera powers up. Don't use a plastic insulated clip.

The film gate door must be closed for the motor to operate.. make sure the contacts on the doors are clean.

The circular switch near the trigger is the trigger locking mechanism. It won't affect the power to the camera.

If after checking the above and it still doesn't work... remove the 4 screws from the main handle and carefully pull off. Check the power wires haven't come loose. If you've tested the zoom, exposure, different film speeds and the camera shows no signs of life then it's dead. Use it as a cool prop in other films.

Hope that helps! :-)