Shooting on a Frigate

Hello, Everybody.

This is my first post in the forum.

A few days ago I was invited to be the DOP of a documentary movie that will be shoot in a frigate sailing from Argentina to México. Amaizing.

So, I´m improving my skills thinking in the conditions that I will have there.

I don´t have so many space, except on the cover of the ship... I can´t use tripods, never.

What do you think about the led lights? I need something to shoot interviews inside of the cabins, may be with some grip to attach at some bed or wall... Also to reduce the diference betwen the light from the exterior than the interior.

I will use an SONY EX3, for sure with wide lens, matte box, filters etc...

Somebody with experience in this conditions?

Attached two pictures of the location:

post-40489-1268090880.jpg

post-40489-1268090703.jpg

Thank you.

Pablo

• Premium Member
Hello, Everybody.

This is my first post in the forum.

A few days ago I was invited to be the DOP of a documentary movie that will be shoot in a frigate sailing from Argentina to México. Amaizing.

So, I´m improving my skills thinking in the conditions that I will have there.

I don´t have so many space, except on the cover of the ship... I can´t use tripods, never.

What do you think about the led lights? I need something to shoot interviews inside of the cabins, may be with some grip to attach at some bed or wall... Also to reduce the diference betwen the light from the exterior than the interior.

I will use an SONY EX3, for sure with wide lens, matte box, filters etc...

Somebody with experience in this conditions?

Attached two pictures of the location:

Thank you.

Pablo

Hi Pablo. And welcome to the forums.

I've worked on Australian naval frigates.

Space is certainly at a premium. Most marine environments are usually 110V as well. Make sure your chargers and any lighting will work in this environment. LED's will be almost your only choice here i think. Perhaps small battery operated HMI's if you really feel you need the firepower. But as you say, if it's mostly interviews in rooms then LED's will be fine. Maybe a 1x1 and some of the smaller panels. Battery options here will also save some hassle and can act as ballast as well. Perhaps takes some photoflex style bounce if you're out on deck.

Also, have you travelled much on the ocean ? Do you get sea sick ? So far I've been lucky but I've been on plenty of shoots where the entire crew have been wiped out by sea sickness. And once you get it, you will not be able to work. There are tablets you can take but as I understand it, you have to take them BEFORE you leave dock and keep taking them for them to work.

Im not sure how the size of the swell is, but even through the frigate is not a small ship, it can still move around a lot. It's easy to loose your footing and lighting on stands for example will move and topple unless you're in a very calm sea so make sure you jave plenty of rigging options for your lighting.

Good Luck !

jb