Local Film maker groups

• Premium Member

I posted this in the general forum, but figured I should post here. Are there any of you people who are not only DPs professionally, but also film makers as well? That is you shoot and edit your end product, and get together with other film makers?

Is there anything like that here?

Hi George,

Saw your other post on this topic and was going to PM you, then saw this thread and figured the open discussion would benefit all of us NorCal types. I'm far from a professional DP, but I do shoot and edit my own stuff from time to time - currently working on a private DVD (for friends) of a metal concert which we all funded. The edit is taking much longer than I would like, and I sort of sidelined my original concept in favor of getting the DVDs out to the folks that paid to put on the show.

There's a facebook group run out of the 680 corridor area that spams Craigslist about their monthly meetings. I've meant to attend, but have had other shoots on the Saturdays that they meet thus far. I've talked to one actor that goes to that and he was really into it.

Very interested in hearing more about what is out there.

• Premium Member

Hi David;

My quick history, I used to stage manage starting back in 1987, and worked on various stuff up through the mid 90s, at which point I threw in the towel. Right now I've had just about had it working retail, and am really longing to get back in the game, even if it's only doing small stuff.

I know SF isn't LA, but there used to be a real thriving indy community here in the Bay Area, and I was wondering if it was still around or not.

I signed up for a professional meetup group through meetup.com, but I never hear from them. I'll check out the 680 thing.

• 4 months later...

Just came by this thread so I'll add my two cents...

I live in San Francisco and by hobby work camera with dreams of working on my own shorts and features one day. My education involves just a couple classes and hands-on training. Here are some thoughts related to your questions:

> I know SF isn't LA, but there used to be a real thriving indy community here in the Bay Area, and I was wondering if it was

> still around or not.

Yes and no. Yes there are many young writers/directors and others out here. But over the last decade there's been a slow but marked bleed of talent from the area. I've seen promising young filmmakers direct a couple shorts, only to decide to do one of two things: move to LA or move to NYC. SF is just too expensive now and there aren't enough on-the-side job opportunities to make it worthwhile for young artists to stay in the area.

You will find many older individuals who've taken up video as a hobby though (and young people just starting out.) Plus there's lots of corporate work. Here are a few resources:

http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/low_no_budget/

http://www.scarycow.com

Best of luck!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Just came by this thread so I'll add my two cents...

I live in San Francisco and by hobby work camera with dreams of working on my own shorts and features one day. My education involves just a couple classes and hands-on training. Here are some thoughts related to your questions:

> I know SF isn't LA, but there used to be a real thriving indy community here in the Bay Area, and I was wondering if it was

> still around or not.

Yes and no. Yes there are many young writers/directors and others out here. But over the last decade there's been a slow but marked bleed of talent from the area. I've seen promising young filmmakers direct a couple shorts, only to decide to do one of two things: move to LA or move to NYC. SF is just too expensive now and there aren't enough on-the-side job opportunities to make it worthwhile for young artists to stay in the area.

You will find many older individuals who've taken up video as a hobby though (and young people just starting out.) Plus there's lots of corporate work. Here are a few resources:

http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/low_no_budget/

http://www.scarycow.com

Best of luck!

No, I'm sorry. That's totally untrue. I want to hear from the locals. And there's lots of them. They just won't talk.

Hello George and sorry I did not get back to you. I have been busy compiling and pitching my movie script as well as trying to recruit an actress. I think you will find that San Francisco is the only real thriving independent film making community. Los Angeles is way too commercialized and all L.A wants are technicians who have specialized skills rather than true artists. While few can afford to live in the City itself nevertheless San francisco is within commuting distance of a lot of affordable communities. Historically San Francisco has been a haven for artists and a lot of famous musicians got their start in San Francisco. I suppose if you want to be conservative maybe Los Angeles is your best bet and I am sure that city has plenty of jobs for people that are already working. But when I make a movie I do not want to be limited by the bean counters but rather I want my work to be as profound and controversial as possible. So far I have gotten some positive feedback for my writing skills as well as my artwork.

• Premium Member

Hello George and sorry I did not get back to you. I have been busy compiling and pitching my movie script as well as trying to recruit an actress. I think you will find that San Francisco is the only real thriving independent film making community. Los Angeles is way too commercialized and all L.A wants are technicians who have specialized skills rather than true artists. While few can afford to live in the City itself nevertheless San francisco is within commuting distance of a lot of affordable communities. Historically San Francisco has been a haven for artists and a lot of famous musicians got their start in San Francisco. I suppose if you want to be conservative maybe Los Angeles is your best bet and I am sure that city has plenty of jobs for people that are already working. But when I make a movie I do not want to be limited by the bean counters but rather I want my work to be as profound and controversial as possible. So far I have gotten some positive feedback for my writing skills as well as my artwork.

Thanks Thomas. One of my problems is lack of time and money, but that's reversing right now (finally), and after I'm back in the black I intend to shoot a few things I've been dying to for a long time. I recall SF thriving with loads of indy productions with about a half dozen or so major features rolling through, which keeps the local hub of technicians working. It'd be cool to get back into it as a side, and hope beyond hope, finally get some stuff shot and edited. Kick off the rust kind of thing, but it's like there's no one here wanting to meet and free labor courtesy of me? I have a hard time believing that.

• Premium Member

Thanks Thomas. One of my problems is lack of time and money, but that's reversing right now (finally), and after I'm back in the black I intend to shoot a few things I've been dying to for a long time. I recall SF thriving with loads of indy productions with about a half dozen or so major features rolling through, which keeps the local hub of technicians working. It'd be cool to get back into it as a side, and hope beyond hope, finally get some stuff shot and edited. Kick off the rust kind of thing, but it's like there's no one here wanting to meet and free labor courtesy of me? I have a hard time believing that.

The other thing is I didn't become a trained tech of any sort, I was just associate producing and stage managing because I wanted to get my scripts shot when I could afford to pay people. I figured I'd meet with some film maker types eventually, other than the local cadre at the universities, and I've met a few. They're out there, but it's like now they're elusive. I don't mind being a tech; editor, gaffer, electrician, DP whatever, but like I say, my goal was to shoot my stories, and not get bogged down shooting other people's stuff. Hence the indy film maker route.

Yes George there is nothing like shooting your own scripts rather than shooting other peoples stuff. I remember in 2004 buying the worlds first high definition prosumer camera so I could be the next George Lucas rather than just a cameraman that works for George Lucas. I would like you to check out my thread "Nuclear Heaven" in the in production category of this website. "Nuclear Heaven is a spin off from my original work "2084 The Ascension of the Humanoid Robot" and I have posted a couple of chapters of '2084' in this thread. I am right now trying to recruit an actress and so far she loves my novel.

• Premium Member

Yes George there is nothing like shooting your own scripts rather than shooting other peoples stuff. I remember in 2004 buying the worlds first high definition prosumer camera so I could be the next George Lucas rather than just a cameraman that works for George Lucas. I would like you to check out my thread "Nuclear Heaven" in the in production category of this website. "Nuclear Heaven is a spin off from my original work "2084 The Ascension of the Humanoid Robot" and I have posted a couple of chapters of '2084' in this thread. I am right now trying to recruit an actress and so far she loves my novel.

I don't know, Thomas. No offense, but I used to be big fan of science fiction, and going through your story it sounds like your film is very "out there".

Is there anybody else? Anyone serious here who lives within 50 miles of SF that needs help? Anyone?

I feel like I'm talking to a brick wall on this BBS. How come none of the sane regulars I know are replying?

• 4 weeks later...

I don't want to completely side-track the point of the thread, but this is something along the lines of what I was looking for. What I'm getting at is, I think, at least part of what George is wondering about - the sense of community. For myself, I'm at a bit of a crossroad that I'm sure most of you have been at as well. Should I make the move to LA or SF?

To me, SF has always seemed to be the hub of independent thinkers, artists, and just creativity in general. It has also struck me as a really communal sort of living there. Lots of support from others who are interested in the same kinds of things, and even from people who aren't. There's a strong community in SF with strong support that focuses on an individual's vision, but it's a bit detached from the industry. You lose out on gaining some of those connections that can help you get a job or start your career. And who of us wouldn't want a career in film as a DP, editor, or whatever else? Not many, I don't think.

With LA, you're in the belly of the beast. You have the opportunity to make connections, to get those jobs, jump start a career in film. Although the chances of finding big success (good amount of recognition and financial gain) are slim, the chances are still there. But in LA, you probably lose out on those communal, and at the same time, independent creator aspects. Plus, I'm afraid that all that work on a production crew as a hopeful craft services person would just be a commitment to routine, and ultimately will be decadent to creative growth.

Both are two sides of the same coin though. They both have their learning experiences, but they go about it in different ways. I just don't know. I'm a student right now, and I'm looking for the best place to go that will help facilitate and encourage growth as a filmmaker. In short, I guess SF seems the more creative place for film, while LA seems the more technical. So then just how strong is SF's film community? How out-of-touch or in-touch is it with LA? On the flip side, is LA's independent film community even existent? Are there any co-ops like Scary Cow? Is the setting just decadent for creative individuals?

To my way of thinking it is Los Angeles or bust. I had this delusion of San Francisco avant garde film makers and I am sure back in the day it was true but those free wheeling days are long gone. Today San Francisco is just a miniature financial district like New York's Wall street. I am sure that you can find San Francisco style independent avant garde film makers it is just that you won't find them in San Francisco because they moved to Los Angeles a long time ago. I have lived in the San Francisco Bay Area for decades and I keep hearing the same junk. Dreamers are for sleepers and creative people are to be punished for their lack of conformity. While historically San Francisco was one of the most creative places to work nowadays it is so conservative that there is no reason to stay. In Los Angeles you have a real thriving film industry. Yes, most of it is heavily commercialized but if you can't find what you are looking for in Los Angeles you won't find it in San Francisco. Los Angeles is just so much more opportunity. By the sheer numbers you are more likely to succeed.

• Premium Member

To my way of thinking it is Los Angeles or bust. I had this delusion of San Francisco avant garde film makers and I am sure back in the day it was true but those free wheeling days are long gone. Today San Francisco is just a miniature financial district like New York's Wall street. I am sure that you can find San Francisco style independent avant garde film makers it is just that you won't find them in San Francisco because they moved to Los Angeles a long time ago. I have lived in the San Francisco Bay Area for decades and I keep hearing the same junk. Dreamers are for sleepers and creative people are to be punished for their lack of conformity. While historically San Francisco was one of the most creative places to work nowadays it is so conservative that there is no reason to stay. In Los Angeles you have a real thriving film industry. Yes, most of it is heavily commercialized but if you can't find what you are looking for in Los Angeles you won't find it in San Francisco. Los Angeles is just so much more opportunity. By the sheer numbers you are more likely to succeed.

I'm finding tons of film makers up here in the Bay Area, but no crew. So there're people with cameras shooting stuff, but there's little professional industry, unless you above the line and shipping/traveling your ideas south for a pitch.

I spoke with a friend of a friend yesterday who's gripping, and he says a lot of what used to be around has dried up, but that he's got himself a niche where he works most of the year. Industrials and Rap-Videos, according to him have gone the way of vaporware, because that used to be the industry here.

Were that the case, then there wouldn't be a ton of rental houses and stage facilities still in operation. Everybody's got their niche where the money makers are concerned, and yes, I am interested in that and not just altruistic film making, but it sure would be nice to talk to the people who try to get stuff done without a budget. You know, see how they swing things, network with people who want to make money, and all that.

My only concern is that the regulars who used to reply to my posts aren't replying anymore. What does that mean? Hell if I know.

I have no money to shove their way, so maybe that's part of it. But it'd be nice to keep my hands in all aspects of the local film making community; pro and amateur/hobbyist alike. Why? Well, the best way to succeed is to make your hobby a living. I want to help those folks, and maybe they can help me.

LA isn't the end all. Hell, if I could afford it, I'd move to Hong Kong, Korea or even India, work in their industries, create a huge resume, make some semi-serious stuff over there, show it can make money, then pitch ideas here (in my own country). But, as it stands now, I'm just a dude who used to work locally, am down on my luck where this industry is concerned, and want to get back in it because I miss it and loved it.

If nobody wants to crank out great film (with the possibility of making some cash and/or getting noticed), then that's fine by me. I don't have time for you.

But I'm here. Will to help for free, and I've got skills and a mind that I can loan out for the time being.

It's up to you people.

• Premium Member

I don't want to completely side-track the point of the thread, but this is something along the lines of what I was looking for. What I'm getting at is, I think, at least part of what George is wondering about - the sense of community. For myself, I'm at a bit of a crossroad that I'm sure most of you have been at as well. Should I make the move to LA or SF?

To me, SF has always seemed to be the hub of independent thinkers, artists, and just creativity in general. It has also struck me as a really communal sort of living there. Lots of support from others who are interested in the same kinds of things, and even from people who aren't. There's a strong community in SF with strong support that focuses on an individual's vision, but it's a bit detached from the industry. You lose out on gaining some of those connections that can help you get a job or start your career. And who of us wouldn't want a career in film as a DP, editor, or whatever else? Not many, I don't think.

With LA, you're in the belly of the beast. You have the opportunity to make connections, to get those jobs, jump start a career in film. Although the chances of finding big success (good amount of recognition and financial gain) are slim, the chances are still there. But in LA, you probably lose out on those communal, and at the same time, independent creator aspects. Plus, I'm afraid that all that work on a production crew as a hopeful craft services person would just be a commitment to routine, and ultimately will be decadent to creative growth.

Both are two sides of the same coin though. They both have their learning experiences, but they go about it in different ways. I just don't know. I'm a student right now, and I'm looking for the best place to go that will help facilitate and encourage growth as a filmmaker. In short, I guess SF seems the more creative place for film, while LA seems the more technical. So then just how strong is SF's film community? How out-of-touch or in-touch is it with LA? On the flip side, is LA's independent film community even existent? Are there any co-ops like Scary Cow? Is the setting just decadent for creative individuals?

Timothy;

If you want, drop me a line at "Blueghos -at- pacbell -dot- net"

Warning, you may get warned about me by those "in the know". Screw 'em. If you want to hook up and get something shot, I'm here and willing to help. If you want, we can try to muster some local types and see what kind of ideas we can toss about to get something going.

ph# is 650 349-0346

My skills are in gripping, stage managing, Assistant Directing, dolly grip, some video, and some basic camera ops. I know the city and the bay area, if that's of any help.