Daylight or Tungsten?

Stephen Price

Hello,

As both the 5D MKii and 7D are CMOS sensors, are they like most CMOS chips and prefer daylight balanced light? Is there a sensitivity difference between these two colour temperatures? And does using Tungsten light produce more noise in the blue channel like a RED?

If you were to shoot table top subjects in a studio, and had a choice of either 3200k or 5600k, what would produce the cleanest image?

Many thanks

Steve

If you were to shoot table top subjects in a studio, and had a choice of either 3200k or 5600k, what would produce the cleanest image?

I personally found that it did not have the same sensor response as a red. From my experience shooting at roughly 100-400 ISO i couldn't tell the difference even projected on a large screen.

Cheers, James.

• 5 weeks later...

It definitely does make a difference. Here are some very basic tests I did regarding shadow noise levels for varying ISO/WB settings: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-7d-h...oise-tests.html (the second image first column should be labeled WB not ISO) These of course dont tell you anything about any of the other characteristics of the image, but I think it gives you a narrow view that helps give a pretty good idea of what to do if you absolutely want the cleanest shadows. On the other hand, I always use HTP despite the negative impact on shadow noise since I always prefer more highlight detail. I only ever turn it off if working with a scene that is low enough contrast there is no chance of anything coming within a stop of blowing out, or if the scene has a lot of important detail in the highlights since things get a bit washed out in the highlights with HTP as highlight contrast is reduced. Clearly 5000k is the best WB to use, as expected for a silicon-based imaging sensor.

I do agree that the difference is not as pronounced as in RED ONE, though.

Edited by Noah Yuan-Vogel