Russell Boyd. ASC

Was anyone else surprised about this? Granted, great work, but Andrew Lesnie and Edwardo Serra were where I would have placed my expectations. What did I forget on Master and Commander that gave me this surprise. Hmmm There was that one dramatic aerial fly by with Russell Crowe on the Crow's nest... Still...

• Premium Member

I was quite surprised by his win.

He was actually the last guy I expected to win (although all the films nominated looked good).

I expected John Schwartzman to win. I wanted César Charlone to win. I loved how City of God looked.

It was also a nice surprise to hear Phil Radin thanked. He is a great guy.

Kevin Zanit

In his speech, Russell pointed out that he was Australian.

He is an accredited member of ACS (Australian Cinematographers' Society) not ASC as this topic header suggests.

Please try and get this right.

(Still, I suppose if the New York Times called Peter Jackson an Australian, there's no hope :rolleyes: )

• 2 weeks later...

I actually knew that. Sorry for the typo, not sure how to edit the title or I gladly would. Lots of awesome Aussie DP's. Some of my favorites are Peter James, Andrew Lesnie, John Seale. My antennae are now also sensitized to Russell Boyd.

• Premium Member

I was very surprised too by his win as I felt of all the films nominated it was the least good looking. I liked it even less than 'Cold Mountain'...

But to quote Sick Boy from 'Trainspotting' regarding the Oscars: 'It's a sympathy vote, it doesn't mean anything'