Need help to make a battery pack

William Fradette

Hi everyone, I have a little problem...

The motor on my new (old) camera seems to indicate that a 7.5v battery is needed. As I don't have the battery pack, someone suggested that I purchase 5x1.5v batteries and that I link them together to provide the needed voltage.

Does anyone here have some kind of knowledge or experience with DIY battery packs? Would you have any advice?

Here is the camera

cammotor.jpg

Thanks for helping me!

Radio Shack (in the U.S.) has radio control battery packs and chargers in stock. Try them. That would sollve a lot of your

problems. Look for a battery pack that is between 7.5V (DC) and 8V (DC) maximum!!!, and minimum 8 Ampere-hours

(8 AH). You will have to rewire it to fit your camera.

What kind of camera is that?

...Does anyone here have some kind of knowledge or experience with DIY battery packs? Would you have any advice?

What do you want to know?

A nicad/NiMh cell will have a nominal terminal voltage of 1.2V. Divide the required battery voltage by 1.2 to find the number cells that need to be connected in series (neg terminal of one cell soldered to the pos. terminal of the next)

You select the capacity of cell to match the current requirement from the camera, the easiest is just to replace like-for-like with the old battery (assuming you have one)

If you do a google search for "industrial tagged cells" you should hopefully find a local supplier of batteries with tags already spot welded to their terminals. Using these you can then solder the tags to each other to build the battery. Cell capacities range from around 0.6Ah for a '2/3A' sized cell, up to 7Ah for a large 'F' sized cell.

I've recelled the original handgrip battery of my Beaulieu R16 at 7.2V (x6 cells) 2.4Ah. The original cells were about 1Ah, but newer technology batteries mean it's possible to get a larger capacity in the same physical space. I also have an external battery pack for it that's 3.3Ah which will slip in a pocket. For my Eclair NPR I've recelled the battery to provide 12V (x10 cells) at 3.5Ah.