Canon 1014 XL-S, Kodak Vision3

Luke Sweetman

Hi,

I recently bought a canon 1014 XL-S, really nice camera got my first roll of 64t Ektachrome back from processing and telecine.

just a couple of questions, I am presently shooting a documentary on the camera, I have a mixture of stocks, my problem is that due to a deadline for the project, I have to shot it on two negative stocks, 500t and 200t both vision3.

i will be shooting in daylight, and I know this is not suitable stock to use, but needs must...,

What I want to know is where to purchase an 85 filter with diamter of 72mm, i known that the canon has an in-built filter but i was told that the 500t and 200t disingage the filter and it can't be reingaged, while the stock is loaded.

I have tired most of the major camera shops in Dublin (Ireland) where I live, no luck.

any suggestions?

Also i have heard that the canon 1014 xl-s, reads the 500t as 360 ASA and the 200T as 160 ASA, is that correct?

many thanks

• Premium Member

Hi, fyi, the 1014xl-s is 67mm filter size. Purchased my 72mm B+W filters as a special order form http://www.croydonphotocentre.co.uk/ some time ago though... I'm sure they can still order them in... A possible solution would be to cut a slot into the cartridge to prevent the filter being swung out of the way. The filter lever is the one under the gate, see photo... I'm not sure if this method will affect the auto iris metering.....

post-29386-1268342250.jpg

• Premium Member

You can get acceptable results from both 200T and 500T even without the 85 filter. To be sure this will be true for you, why not ask the place that will be doing the transfer if they have transferred these film stocks before without the 85 filter having been used during the filming. The advantage of the 85 filter would be to make sure you don't have to iris down too far if you are shooting in sunny conditions.

Alessandro's right, the transfer house can remove the color cast that's created when you use tungsten film outdoors. If you want a filter then it's a 67mm, which should be easy to find, but brand new it will be expensive-- and remember, used externally it will also dim the viewfinder a bit with an amber cast.

Film speeds as set by Kodak will be ASA 250 for V500T and 100 for V200T- that's one stop overexposed on each, but perfectly OK, as it will transfer better and Kodak sets it this way on purpose.

For outdoor use on the 1014XLS, set the shutter to the 'sun' selection-- the 150 degrees setting, not the XL one. It will cut down the light a little.

Thanks a lot guys,

following your advice.

Just one thing it says on the canon museum web site.

that the filter size is 72 mm (To be attached on the rubber hood.)

http://www.cinematography.com/index.php?ac...=31&t=44922

I think that I have the filter rubber hood, it screws onto the lens ring, and seems to make it a 72mm.

One more question

A friend has an 85b filter, would this correct it for daylight in the same manner or is there a significant difference between 85 and 85b?

cheers

Luke

• Premium Member
Alessandro's right, the transfer house can remove the color cast that's created when you use tungsten film outdoors.

My experience has been that reversal tungsten film is less forgiving without an 85 filter than the negative stocks are. So if it were me, I would use the 85 filter for outdoors if it is a reversal stock. But if you are using the vision negative film stocks and plan on a professional transfer, then the 85 filter might actually be more necessary just to prevent over-exposure in bright, outdoor situations than for correcting the color of the image.

So your 85 filter, when shooting negative super-8 film stocks, could give you two benefits, and as Jim pointed out, it will darken your image a bit when looking through the viewfinder.

If you want a filter then it's a 67mm, which should be easy to find, but brand new it will be expensive-- and remember, used externally it will also dim the viewfinder a bit with an amber cast.

Film speeds as set by Kodak will be ASA 250 for V500T and 100 for V200T- that's one stop overexposed on each, but perfectly OK, as it will transfer better and Kodak sets it this way on purpose.

For outdoor use on the 1014XLS, set the shutter to the 'sun' selection-- the 150 degrees setting, not the XL one. It will cut down the light a little.

One caution about the sun selection for the Canon 814XLS and 1014XLS. I discovered that when I used the faster shutter with slow motion I got some flickering. I also might have gotten some at 24 FPS as well. I would suggest shooting a test cartridge before your shoot day. I am assuming as these cameras go longer without servicing the high speed shutter is probably one of the first things to start to act funky.