Home Made Dolly System Plans

Joe Taylor

I am looking for plans/blue prints for constructing a home made dolly system. What I need is something that is extremely light-weight and portable but sturdy enough to support a Red camera. I don't plan to do anything but simple tracking shots on rails made of pvc pipes.

Can anybody suggest what might be the best system for a do-it-yourselfer?

Thanks

I am looking for plans/blue prints for constructing a home made dolly system. What I need is something that is extremely light-weight and portable but sturdy enough to support a Red camera. I don't plan to do anything but simple tracking shots on rails made of pvc pipes.

Can anybody suggest what might be the best system for a do-it-yourselfer?

Thanks

HBS board may have some plans

I would say one thing : force = mass X distance - camera close to the rails = stable

the key IMO is to use a 'high hat' not sticks and mount your rails up high maybe on an aluminium ladder

of course this is not the same as a proper dolly with the operator on board

S

I have seen some impressive results from those little slider dollys that you mount onto a tripod although the store bought ones might not take a red i'm sure you could design a heavier duty version without oo much fuss.

Google has lots of stuff on them but this will get you started.

Maybe a cross between this.

http://www.theslider.com/4foot.html

And this.

http://www.slicksliderdolly.com/

I've been doing Google searches and there are plenty of options out there, I'm just wondering if those who have had experiences making a dolly have any opinions on what they feel is the best plan/blueprint.