VariCam with 1200A/FCP question

Mark Hutto

When using the VariCam with the 1200A and FCP as Panasonic is touting are you able to use the camera's Variable speeds, 24P and CineGam functions? I'm looking into a purchase of this platform and want to hear the problems and limitations of this set up. The use would be basic commercial and broadcast for television work but don't want to necessarily limit my scope.

Thanks

It can work with all of that...variable speeds and 24p. FCP is ready to go with the 24p but you'll need this to convert the over/under footage:

http://www.panasonic.com/business/provideo/support/fcphd.asp

I'm going to be shooting with it tomorrow and when I first started my research I had the same questions.

Creative Cow has a Varicam Forum and there are A LOT of postings regarding the 1200a and FCP. Some people have good experiences and some don't. From reading most of the posts it looks like user error, people not setting up the camera correctly and recording or capturing in the wrong format.

I've been asking a lot of questions lately leading up to this weekends shoot, so I'll be sure to post my exeriences.