Ridley Scott Searchlab Lecture

• Premium Member

Sorry if this has been posted before, but I wanted to share this great hour-long Ridley Scott interview in four parts:

Man, but the dude is a wealth of knowledge and wisdom! Interesting to hear that his relatively recent proclivity for multi-camera shooting is for the actors' performances, I thought it might have been purely a necessity due to his crazy fast shooting schedules.

Also loved to hear how he got thrown into the deep end on his first directing job in live tv, and how he developed a quick decision making attitude as a coping mechanism.

• 2 months later...

Sorry if this has been posted before, but I wanted to share this great hour-long Ridley Scott interview in four parts:

Man, but the dude is a wealth of knowledge and wisdom! Interesting to hear that his relatively recent proclivity for multi-camera shooting is for the actors' performances, I thought it might have been purely a necessity due to his crazy fast shooting schedules.

Also loved to hear how he got thrown into the deep end on his first directing job in live tv, and how he developed a quick decision making attitude as a coping mechanism.

Ridley's a great Director. When I saw, Alien it was the last time I was scared in a movie theater. It pushed all my "what's in the closet" buttons. He's got great taste, great judgement in choosing his scripts - Craig

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

One more thing;

If I wasn't trying to save myself from financial ruin, I would've done what Ridley said and gone out there and "Just done it". I'm not about to risk putting myself out of house and home for a shot at the lottery. I'll do it once I can guarantee a roof over my head, food on my plate and gas in my tank. I can live without power, net and phone. I'll hang out at the library or a cafe for that.

In short, if you got the chance, then do it. I'll be there with the youngins in a little bit, but it takes us older types a bit longer because of obligations.

• Premium Member

Unfortunately, most of us won't succeed, and that's just life...

It depends on what you define as success. There's tons of successful directors locally where I live. Only most of them shoot training videos and other industrials. Maybe they work at a TV station or shoot adult videos. More and more they probably work for computer game companies doing intros or cutscenes for games.

*EDIT*

If you mean "Mega-Successful"/Superstardom, then yeah, that's a one in a million chance. And those are favorable odds. But a director who can crank out a useful and well received film on any scale is a success. Me, I just want a goddamn fulltime job so I can save up AND get back to doing film as a side. To me that's about the only success I can hope for at my age. But I'm good with it.