Tripod for video and film

Marco Leavitt

So far, we've only shot video for our short films, and I'm desparately in the market for a real tripod. Eventually we want to shoot Super 16 for some projects, and it would be nice to be able to use one tripod for both. I've been looking at the Vinten Vision 3 for some time -- http://tinyurl.com/5uyxl -- because it is designed to be used with camcorders in a wide range of weights. Is there any reason that this tripod wouldn't also be ideal for film, assuming the camera was light enough? The Eclair ACL is within its weight range, even with 400' mags.

• Premium Member
So far, we've only shot video for our short films, and I'm desparately in the market for a real tripod. Eventually we want to shoot Super 16 for some projects, and it would be nice to be able to use one tripod for both. I've been looking at the Vinten Vision 3 for some time -- http://tinyurl.com/5uyxl -- because it is designed to be used with camcorders in a wide range of weights. Is there any reason that this tripod wouldn't also be ideal for film, assuming the camera was light enough? The Eclair ACL is within its weight range, even with 400' mags.

It's a pretty good tripod, our equipment cage just got a few. The one I had had no liquid in the head's bubble level, but I'm sure that was a fluke and it's being fixed as we speak, probably.

pan and tilt drags seem to be sticky not so smooth

the locks seem to go bad

not enough drag settings

heavy for the weight the head can handle

not the easiest to balance

I just never liked them....

whether they be studio peds or field tripods

JD

www.cineshooter.com

Guest Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

Manfrotto are very good. For a real descent tripod your looking at roughly £1000/£1500.