Need a battery for NPR

Fhj Ais

I just received my newly serviced NPR and it's in fantastic condition. The only thing it doesn't have is a battery. I am looking for something that could last 10 hrs, give or take a couple. I don't know anything about camera batteries. I know that NPR's take 12Vs.... is that the only spec you have to match up when looking at them? Could you suggest any reliable long lasting batts?

Thanks in advance.

I just received my newly serviced NPR and it's in fantastic condition. The only thing it doesn't have is a battery. I am looking for something that could last 10 hrs, give or take a couple. I don't know anything about camera batteries. I know that NPR's take 12Vs.... is that the only spec you have to match up when looking at them? Could you suggest any reliable long lasting batts?

The original NPR battery was rated at 4Ah and would apparently last for 4,000ft of film,

ie. x10 400ft loads each lasting about 10 minutes = 100 minutes.

You're looking for 10 hours = 600 minutes, so six times the capacity of the original battery. Something around 24Ah ?

At that size I suggest you start looking at 12V lead-acid batteries - they'll be heavy!

If you don't mind splitting it down, then getting two 12Ah sealed-gel-lead acid batteries might be a bit more convenient.

Hm. i don't think I'd need something that powerful actually. i guess what I meant was I need something that'd work for an 8-10 hr working day. it's an indie film with a 2:1 ratio and the shoot will only take place on Sat/Sun. would something like this be more than sufficient?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1353...y.html#features

Hm. i don't think I'd need something that powerful actually. i guess what I meant was I need something that'd work for an 8-10 hr working day. it's an indie film with a 2:1 ratio and the shoot will only take place on Sat/Sun. would something like this be more than sufficient?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1353...y.html#features

Well if a 4Ah battery was rated for approx. 4,000ft of film - I suspect that 7Ah battery would run the camera for approxiamately 7,000ft - call it x17 400ft mags, or just over 3hrs.

If you're shooting a 1.5hr feature at 2:1 then you're looking at 3hrs of material, so on that basis the battery belt you're looking at would probably last. Unless you're able to recharge the battery on the saturday night, I'd personally say you'd want a spare. Having the battery die just before shooting the final roll of film would be more than a tad annoying!!

Your tight shooting ratio suggests you're on a bit of a budget. On that basis, you could get a 12V 6Ah sealed lead acid battery for $19.49 from here (2.7 hrs run time). As I'm not in the US you might be able to find a cheaper deal if you search around a bit. At that price you could buy two 6Ah batteries for $40. A 4-pin XLR connector would cost about $5 from here, whilst a couple of 1/4" spade connectors to go on the battery and a bit of cable are dirt cheap. You would need to wave a soldering iron around ($10 to buy your own - or find someone to do that for you), but soldering isn't a difficult or complicated skill and being able to solder a broken wire together again could be a life-saver on set, even with commercial leads! ;)

That approach would cost about $30 less, whilst giving power for around 12,000ft / 30 mags / 5.5 hrs - so plenty of power for your 3hr shooting time. If you can recharge over night, then probably just the one 6Ah battery would sort you, saving about $50.

If you want to use the camera handheld, and thus prefer a belt arrangement rather than putting the battery on the floor, then have a look at some of the belt pouches for compact cameras or photo accessories. By looking around at different shapes of 12V battery and pouch you should be able to find something compatible. Alternatively, a small shoulder-strap camera bag would be large enough to put the battery in and fairly comfortable to carry.

None of this would look as 'posh' or 'stylish' as the purpose made camera belt, but you'd get a longer camera run time for less money.

• 1 year later...

Heya,

Just a quick question regarding 12v battery. Can I use this one for the Eclair NPR? http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q=12+lead+battery+NP7-12&hl=en&prmd=imvns&resnum=3&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1216&bih=683&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=9866602548677155624&sa=X&ei=2QaLTqqALoSl-gb75emJBA&ved=0CGoQ8wIwAA

It says it is used for standby? Anyway I tried using it with a new Eclair motor I just bought and the only thing that happens is that the red light comes on but nothing else happens.

Any suggestions well appreciated,

Blith

Heya,

Just a quick question regarding 12v battery. Can I use this one for the Eclair NPR? http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q=12+lead+battery+NP7-12&hl=en&prmd=imvns&resnum=3&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1216&bih=683&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=9866602548677155624&sa=X&ei=2QaLTqqALoSl-gb75emJBA&ved=0CGoQ8wIwAA

It says it is used for standby? Anyway I tried using it with a new Eclair motor I just bought and the only thing that happens is that the red light comes on but nothing else happens.

Any suggestions well appreciated,

Blith

Short answer: yes, that battery will be fine.

Long answer to be found on your other thread ;)

• Premium Member

Gel cell sealed lead acid batteries -- you can get them from a motorcycle shop, along with a charger. Or, you could get them from a computer supply place that handles UPS batteries. Negative on pin #1 and positive on pin #4 of the XLR connector.

-- J.S.