http://www.meetup.com/BayAreaFilmandTVConnection/

• Premium Member

Hi George,

I've never heard to them before but that doesn't mean much. I guess how useful it will be depends on what area of production you want to get back into. If it's on the producing or writing/directing side then it might be a good resource. There's also the SF Film Society, Digital Cinema Society, the 48 hour film fests. Those are good places to meet people and make connections.

If it's camera/grip/electric/sound then it's probably better to just look for jobs on Craigslist or Mandy. The problem with looking for job positions here is that there's not a ton of paid work up here to begin with, so if we're asked to refer people to production then we tend to refer our AC/G&E/sound friends. In that case, crewing on Academy of Art or SF State student shoots, or low-budget projects can help get your name out there.

I've noticed that G&E always tend to have a few interns, so that may be the way to go. Check the Reel Directory for who's who. If you get to know the guys at G&E rental places like Freyer Lighting, Little Giant, and DTC then you'll be on your way. Camera houses to get to know would be Chater Camera, Videofax, and Lee Utterbach.

• Premium Member

Thanks Satsuki

I used to crew, but always shot for the writer/producer end of things. I figured I'd combine the two together at some point.

Thanks for the tips. Will certainly look into your suggestions.

• 1 month later...