Lighting Dark corridor

Jon Bel

Hi,

Before we start. I'm not a dp.

I will have to be shooting in a underground corridor, (a boiler room type), and there are 3 light bulbs overhead, 1 at beginning, middle and end. It's not well lit.

I'm shooting in 35mm. The lights on there now are your average eco spiral 14 watt bulbs. There is also two fluorescents somewhere in the middle. I'm renting a arri soft bank light kit.

1st question. Can you mix these cheap bulb illuminations with movie lights?

Question 2. Should I replace those standard bulbs with these: http://www.thehardwarecity.com/getProductD...amp;sku=0001012

Any recommendations would help.

Here's the pic of the location(was a flash when I took it):

Thanks guys

post-38332-1268942660.jpg

Edited by Jon Bel

replace those bulbs with something higher wattage for more light. You can get flourescent bulbs to match incandescent color temp. And then your light kit, assuming it's tungsten (which may be a poor assumption), will match as well.

Are you asking? It looks like it was.

The look you want will help with the question.

Yeah not sure of the look you are going for. I would use a bunch of inkies directed where you want pools of light. Looks like there is plenty of space to rig above. Just don't rig to fire system or gas pipes. Check this clip from a feature I Gaffed in a similar type of place. Besides the china hat practicals we hung lots of inkies and a few babies with no lenses over those cages for a sharp shadow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jo2c7BL21X4...feature=related

Hi Justin,

Yeah, there was a flash when I took it.

I guess what I want from the lighting is simply assurance that it will register properly on film.

I want white light and I want to avoid any pinkish hues.

Are you asking? It looks like it was.

The look you want will help with the question.