AC .A fresh new start at NY

Hi everyone.I´m a new member my name is Joaquin from Spain.

I´ve been within the film industry for the last ten years working as 2nd AC and 1st AC (five years ago)..,also as a camera operator on TV shows and shortfilms.

I´m moving to NY probably by mid june to colaborate with a DP friend of mine in a shortfilm and I´m thinking of staying there for a while and see how does the bussiness works over there.I was lucky enought to work there before and I liked the city.

I was wondering if there´s anyone who could give some advices/suggesttions or ideas to move around and make contacts...to get a place a star working.

Iknow all about visas and all that stuff...,that´s the mos difficult part I guess...,but I´m sure there´s a way to get involve at student proyects,freebies,shorfilms...,and so on.

Well,that´s it.Any help is more than wellcome.

Thanks everyone.

Hey Joaquin,

a good place to start is Mandy.com, you can find a lot of UNPAID shoots posted on that site. There are some PAID gigs, but those are rare. Stores you need to know to stock up on AC gears are B & H, Barbizon and Abel Cine Tech. Kodak is located in midtown and Technicolor is in Downtown near Houston Street. I hope this info is enough to help you get started.

Best of luck.

-Dan Lam

Thanks dude!!..,I´ve been at H & B before and at kodak but didn´t know the other places.

I guess you´re based at NYC..,you guys have a Local 600 or something ,dont you?..I apreciatte if you could let me know who "rules" at NYC..,I mean, the local commision where to get information for working following the rules.

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

You can also try contacting the NYU or Columbia film school departments...students shoot many short films throughout the year and they often need ACs. Most of the work will be unpaid, although sometimes they'll have a small amount in their budget. However, you might make contacts with some working DPs by working on those crews. Usually inexperienced crews and producers so it can be frustrating but if you're brand new to the city...

Local 600 is the IATSE camera local here in NYC. You can find contact info at www.cameraguild.com

If you decide to join, you'll need some sort of proof that you can legally work in the U.S. (citizenship, working visa, etc). It's not exactly cheap to join (around $4,500 for a camera assistant - 1st, 2nd or loader - payable in installments), you must make your own contacts in the business, they do not find you work and you will be expected to pay dues four times a year. However, they provide many training sessions and networking events every month, the rates and benefits are better when you do work union jobs and you can still work non-union jobs in between your union jobs.

Good luck and best wishes!

Thanks dude!!..,I´ve been at H & B before and at kodak but didn´t know the other places.

I guess you´re based at NYC..,you guys have a Local 600 or something ,dont you?..I apreciatte if you could let me know who "rules" at NYC..,I mean, the local commision where to get information for working following the rules.

Thanks.

Thank you soo much for all your help.

I´ll try to get in touch with those associations., as you just said, it would be great to meet people and colaborate on student films..,no matter whether its paid or not.

Since I´m making "new friends" at the city it would be great to have a drink and chat about the bussiness.If anyone is interested I´m up for it.Just click at my profile and send me an email.

See u.