Comparison of Field of View.

Hi

I am going to be shooting a project on the Red 1 Camera at the end of April, the project consists of one long tracking shot, recorded at 120fps.

My issue is that I won't be getting the camera till the day before we shot, so what I want to know is how to workout the equivalent angle of view on the Sony EX 3 lens with a couple of the Red's Pro Primes.

Basically it is a very small budget, and as the concept calls for just the one shot I figure if I get the right lens then we can limit the rental to either 25mm or 35mm red pro prime.

I have done a number of tests with the EX-3, and it seems that it's widest setting is just wide enough, this is the info from the sony product page;

Focal Length f = 5.8 to 81.2 mm (equivalent to 31.4 to 439 mm on 35 mm lens)

and from Red/Lenses;

25mm: H x V. FOV for S35 Format = 55.8 x 31.1 (degrees).

35mm: H x V. FOV for S35 Format = 41.4 x 22.5 (degrees).

If anyone knows where could get the info?

thanks

Luke

If in doubt, go for the wider lens. Sounds like the 25mm should cover you.

HOWEVER (this is a BIG however!)

If you want to record at 120fps you will have to knock the resolution down to 2K on the Red ONE. This in turn means that you'll be effectively "halving" your field of view so the field of view is similar to 16mm rather than 35mm. Thus to achieve the same FOV as a 25mm lens you will need a 12mm lens. The Red Pro Primes obviously don't go down below 18mm, you are better looking at lenses made for shooting 16mm rather than 35mm lenses.

Hope that makes sense.

Edited by Pete Wallington

Thanks

That dose help, I just spoke to a guy that owns a Red 1 and he told me the same. That when in 2K 120fps, you should use 16mm lens to prevent

vignetting, just wondering if someone could recommend a good 16mm or 25 prime that is compatible with the Red, the rental place has good selection of

Ziess and Cookie primes.

Much obliged for your words

• Premium Member
Thanks

That dose help, I just spoke to a guy that owns a Red 1 and he told me the same. That when in 2K 120fps, you should use 16mm lens to prevent

vignetting, just wondering if someone could recommend a good 16mm or 25 prime that is compatible with the Red, the rental place has good selection of

Ziess and Cookie primes.

Much obliged for your words

I'd go with ultraprimes. They're sharp, fast, and relatively lightweight.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks

That when in 2K 120fps, you should use 16mm lens to prevent vignetting,

Using a lens with a smaller image circle doesn't seem likely to prevent vignetting. They are much more likely to cause vignetting. Perhaps you misheard him? Using a 16mm lenses when shooting 2k can be beneficial for other reasons, however. One reason being that shooting wide angles will be possible with 16mm lenses at 2k.

Also, keep in mind that the 35mm equivalents referenced in the EX1/3 specs refer to full frame 35mm (still film) field of views. By my calculations the EX1/3 stock lens is equivalent to about a 20mm lens on a RED One depending somewhat upon whether you are shooting 4k 4.5k or quadHD etc.