pulling 7219

has anyone had any experience with pulling overexposed footage shot on kodak's vision 3 500t ? i have some footage that is overexposed by about 3 stops and I was wondering if it were pulled, would it still be usable? I don't have much experience with pulling film, so I am unsure how many stops could it safely be pulled.

Assuming that you are finishing digitally, whoever telecines your footage should easily be able to bring your image back to normal levels. I accidentally overexposed some 5217 by 4 or 5 stops and then had it pulled one stop. The telecine guy had no problem bringing the image back. Kodak stock is very forgiving. You probably don't even need to pull it. The most I think they can actually pull is 1.5 stops, maybe close to 2. At least that is what Deluxe LA told me. So, I just went ahead with one leaving 3-4 stops of overexposure for the colorist to deal with. He had to tone down the colors a bit because they were very saturated, especially the reds.

Here is a frame grab to give you a reference. There was a retro vibe to this shoot and we used the old Schneiders. So the glass yielded a softer image to begin with.

post-38314-1269983994.jpg

The most I think they can actually pull is 1.5 stops, maybe close to 2. At least that is what Deluxe LA told me

Pull processing is achieved by speeding up the processor to reduce development time. If you speed up too much, then you get incomplete bleach and/or fixing. That is why you can't get more than 2 stops (and that is optimistic).

Hypothetically a lab could achieve a pull process by dropping the dev temperature instead of reducing time. But most machines are fitted with heating elements not cooling elements, so it would take a very long time (lost processing time) waiting for the dev temp to drop sufficiently. Guess who would have to pay for that lost productivity?

The good news is that film has so much latitude, especially on the over-exposure side, that yhou'll get a great image with standard processing and digital colour correction. The colour correction system will probably run out of range before the negative does.

• Site Sponsor
Pull processing is achieved by speeding up the processor to reduce development time. If you speed up too much, then you get incomplete bleach and/or fixing.

Dominic that is not a "incomplete" bleach it is a "free" partial Bleach Bypass! We did a music video project on 7219 last year shot in the desert intentionally 5 stops over for the look which was interesting.. If you want 'Normal" look pull it as much as your lab will do and then fix in Telecine and it will be fine.

-Rob-

We did a music video project on 7219 last year shot in the desert intentionally 5 stops over for the look which was interesting..

-Rob-

5-stops?! You crazy! I'd love to see how it looked. Is there a link to the video you share? I'd really appreciate it.

• Site Sponsor
5-stops?! You crazy! I'd love to see how it looked. Is there a link to the video you share? I'd really appreciate it.

I did not shoot it the MV was for a client in LA I will see if we can dig it up... it was all 'ghost-y' and pretty cool...

-Rob-