Sign in to follow this  
Jase Ryan

Converting 29.97 to 23.98

I shot some footage recently at 29.97 that I want to edit into a timeline on final cut that is 23.98. 85% of the footage in the edit is shot at 23.98 so I need to keep that as the framerate. But when final cut converts the footage, it looks bad. Is there a way to convert it properly so it play right? Is there any tricks that can be done in Final Cut Studio or do i need to bring the footage to a proper post facility? And if so, what is it that they do?

Thanks,

Jase

I don't know beans about FCP. I was under the understanding that cine speed in video was 23.976. Could that have anything to do with it?

The best conversion available today is Arri's Relativity software product. It's sort of like color timing in that it's a shot by shot hand tweaked process done at a facility by a highly skilled operator. Expect the cost to be similar, too.

It interpolates over several frames, so the thing to do is rough cut your 29.97 material with long handles, say 15 frames on both ends. Then take it to FotoKem in Burbank, they're the first in town to have Relativity. If you're not here, e-mail Arri to see where there's a local facility that has it.

Cut the conversions into your show as if they were the original.

-- J.S.

Thanks John.

The best conversion available today is Arri's Relativity software product. It's sort of like color timing in that it's a shot by shot hand tweaked process done at a facility by a highly skilled operator. Expect the cost to be similar, too.

It interpolates over several frames, so the thing to do is rough cut your 29.97 material with long handles, say 15 frames on both ends. Then take it to FotoKem in Burbank, they're the first in town to have Relativity. If you're not here, e-mail Arri to see where there's a local facility that has it.

Cut the conversions into your show as if they were the original.

-- J.S.

Have you tried cinema tools? It's bundled with FCP Studio.

I recently shot a Super 16mm short transfered to HDCam. The edit and final output was 23.98. We used 29.97 footage and used cinematools to convert it to 23.98. It's really quick and easy.